C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting article on Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 10:05 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting article on Brake Fluid

http://www.rpmnet.com/techart/fluid.shtml

Old 12-04-2001, 10:30 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Interesting article on Brake Fluid (PatG)

Interesting. But I take issue with a few points.
1) Compressability of DOT 5 - I have it in my 66 since 1975- with rubber hoses... and the pedal is hard as a rock.
I have absolutely no compressability issues. This may be a racing only thing. But for a street driven car, based on my own personal experience"compressabiliy" is not a problem with DOT5. It may be more compressable (according to the experts) than non-DOT5, but the average person will not be able to tell the difference.

2) "Never re-use brakes fluid"
I will re-use DOT 5 as long as it is clean. I put DOT 5 in my 66 in 1975 and just recently replaced the front brake hoses. The fluid is as clear & clean as it was the day I installed it, over 25 years ago. I re-cycled it... and the brakes work fine, with the pedal still as hard as a rock. Dirty DOT5 or used non-DOT5 should always be replaced. But if your DOT5 is clean, there is no need to replace it... based purely on a 25 year test. The non-power brakes (with 25 year old DOT5) on my 66 work far better than the DOT3 power brakes on my 70. Nuff said.

I did not read the rest of the articles... it's a GOOD web site... very informative. But I wouldn't consider what they say as "gospel". Engineers don't always have a grip on reality as provided by a trip to the trenches. Racing & daily drivers are two different arenas... apples & oranges.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:18 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Re: Interesting article on Brake Fluid (PatG)

I totally agree with Tom454.
I've had silicone brake fluid for over 10 years. Works great and is still clear.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting article on Brake Fluid

Quick Reply: Interesting article on Brake Fluid