C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed my crossover in exuast...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 08:10 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default installed my crossover in exuast...

last night i installed my crossover in the exuast just behind the trans.,it helped with the resonance problem a little bit with the flowmasters,overall it even sounds better.Havent given it a real run yet maybe tonight to see if it helped in power.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:49 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (pats406nitrovette)

Hi Pat
Sounds like you're pleased with the results. Just a couple questions because I may have this done when I get my headers installed this winter. Is the crossover just a straight pipe connecting the two sides or is it an X pipe. I'm thinking about the straight pipe because it should be easier to install. Also, did they put any flange between the two pipes in the crossover so that you can unbolt it and only remove one side of the exhaust rather than having to drop both sides. I forget who posted a picture of their exhaust but they had a nice straight crossover pipe installed with this flange in the center that allowed the two sides to be separated.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:50 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i cound get away with true duals, emissions testing on 75's :cry those things you wished you'd known

ZD
Old 12-04-2001, 08:22 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (ZD75blue)

hey vettefixer yeah im pleased i just drove it home for the first time in months and what a difference the crossover made,i love the exuast now with the flowmasters,i just welded a straight pipe to connect both sides and welded it together.Any body else notice a big gain in power with it?It seems to pull harder then it did without it.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:48 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey pat, after i installed mine, i saw a nice power difference, and made the motor run quite a bit smoother....i initially had done it to add some back pressure to stop the rapping and snapping of the exhaust, and was happy with those other things as well. I wish i had done as vettfixr had ssaid becuase i had to cut it out when dropping the driveshaft. So anytime i need to take it out, i have to cut it.....SUX!
Old 12-04-2001, 09:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Hey vettfixr, I had mine welded up with a straight pipe also. I had them put in a "ball" joint so the exhaust could be taken apart. It works great and no leaks. I have had it apart twice with no problems. I anticipated removing some things in the future so I had them make it this way. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would. I'm not the best at computers
Old 12-04-2001, 11:20 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (ZD75blue)

pats406nitrovette, sounds good (no pun intended). I wish audio clips were something that worked a little better on the web.

ZD, I know how you feel. I went the stock 2-1-2 system with a couple of improvements (I think). You could try what I do: just think of your converter as an ugly X-pipe :rolleyes:
Old 12-05-2001, 03:40 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (74VETTE)

. . . I wish i had done as vettfixr had ssaid becuase i had to cut it out when dropping the driveshaft. So anytime i need to take it out, i have to cut it.....SUX!
My cross over pipe is also welded in without provisions for separating it. I recently removed the whole exhaust system for transmission and rear end removal. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.
I placed a jack stand under the cross over to support the whole system and started disconnecting from the header end first. With only the last two mounts next to the tail pipes left, I lowered the front onto the floor and then relesed the back end. It was an easy one man job.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:36 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

It sounds like everyone is pleased with the results of this mod. Just one more question :jester , did you use the same size pipe (e.g. 2 1/2" crossover for 2 1/2" exhaust) or did you go smaller (e.g. 2 1/4" crossover for 2 1/2" exhaust).
Old 12-05-2001, 09:02 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (vettfixr)

I had a 2.250" cross over installed in my 69 this summer. It's right behind the bellhousing in front of the tranny. It too was welded in, so removing it would require cutting it out. It works well with the headers and chambered pipes.
gary
Old 12-05-2001, 09:23 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed a flange but even though I remove the exhaust every year I never unbolt the flange.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:36 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

74VETTE

You will have less back pressure. The balance pipe is an improvement on duals & does quiet some.

vettfixr

Yes, you can go smaller on the crossover or balance pipe. While the flanges are a good idea, it is possible to do it so the driveshaft can be removed w/o flanges.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:25 AM
MikeT
Instructor

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (Ganey)

Guys, I've been thinking about doing this since I went to true duals. Does it matter where you put the cross pipe??? before or after the trans???
Mike
Old 12-05-2001, 11:34 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (MikeT)

I would do this but I do not want to quiet the sound..I like it LOUD
Old 12-05-2001, 01:21 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (Ganey)

Thanks Ganey. I thought I'd seen some installs where the pipe was smaller but didn't know whether this would effect the function. I didn't think it would because you're only talking about equalizing pressure, not providing full flow.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:30 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (MikeT)

Guys, I've been thinking about doing this since I went to true duals. Does it matter where you put the cross pipe??? before or after the trans???
Mike
_______

Usually the further forward the better but with a vet it is hard. Most just place it right behind the crossmember. This seems to be the easiest place.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:31 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: installed my crossover in exuast... (norvalwilhelm)

mIne is between the bellhousing and the tranny,it has a "V" shape to it. It's about as close to the headers as you can get.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To installed my crossover in exuast...

Quick Reply: installed my crossover in exuast...