C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Repair and Wheel Chroming

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 09:55 PM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

Default Frame Repair and Wheel Chroming

Ok,
I have 2 issues. I am in dire need of GOOD frame repair. It is relatively minor, but it needs to be fixed...happened from autocrossing. Anyone know of a good place in Houston? Also, I want to get my factory aluminum wheels chromed, any recommendations?
Thanks-
Dave
Old 12-03-2001, 10:06 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Frame Repair and Wheel Chroming (VetteBoy1979)

dunno 'bout the frame, but as for the wheels, you can clean clean clean and they will look like chrome...Its amazing.

Daniel
Old 12-04-2001, 10:49 AM
79blackbat
Intermediate

Don't know of any places in Houston, but if you ask around your local speed shop they should recommend a place for the chrome wheels. I got quoted at $25 per wheel (factory ralley wheels). I haven't done it, and not sure if I will considering that I was finally able to get them to shine. I used a product called Grease Lightning to clean the rims and did good job. I've used other products w/out success. You should give it a try first, you'll end up saving some cash.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:10 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Be careful with frame repairs. I had a frame shop come look at my car to estimate if it could be fixed. they sugested since I had a complete frame sitting next to my car to chop it in half and they would pull my 76 frame then chop it then weld my 80 front piece onto the 76. Easy as pie they said, I had many concerns about an occational (Italian tune up) 100+ mpg. They said it will be if not stronger as strong as the original. Well I stuck my head up my butt and chopped my 80 frame in half. then called the frame shop they came and got the car said they would try to pull the frame straight then would call me if they needed to weld the 80 piece on. Next day I get a call they said the 76 was unrepairable. :confused: Then they had the nerve to say why did`nt you just put the other frame under the car :mad . I said Because you told me that you wanted to weld it to the front of this one. Needless to say they charged me $137.00 to tow my car around town and bring it back to me in the same shape it left in.And to beat it all they offered me a job as a mechanic well you can only imagine what I had to say to them. :nono: :boxing . I purchased a 1978 frame and will have it on tires today.
Just becareful.
Bob
I will update my page thursday with new pics
Old 12-04-2001, 12:33 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can polish Big Wheels to look as if they are chromed. Costs you rouge and your time. The aftermarket providers used to have chromed Big Wheels. Costs you $$$ and your original wheels as cores. Check the catalogues. Check the yellow pages there in Houston. There ought to be several platers listed. Call them, tell them what you have, and see what they say.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Repair and Wheel Chroming

Quick Reply: Frame Repair and Wheel Chroming