C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side Exhaust HELP!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Side Exhaust HELP!

I have searched all afternoon, hoping not to make another post about side exhaust installation. ....But, I can't find any posts that refer to a "start to finish" install of sidepipes on a non-sidepipe car. I am somewhat hesitant to do a lot of cutting on my very nice original 66 coupe, but I want the sound and the look. I recently bought a nice complete original side exhaust setup, all new hardware, and was all set until I started reading about the awful 3 letter word...."CUT". It seems you are able to bend the rocker tabs out of the way, and save them, but I don't see any way around cutting fiberglass in the front and rear. I looked at the assembly manual, but am somewhat confused. I would really like to see a photo step-by-step. Can somebody help? I may be convinced to go to a chambered under car system, but I am not happy with my current Hooker headers and 3" exhaust with Borla muflers. Don't get me wrong, the sound is fine, but the rattles are endless. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I did this conversion on my 66 coupe for the same reasons you have stated sound and looks. I did it first with the original 327 and the stock rams horn headers. Straight forward install. I did have to cut the lower tab off in front of each door to allow the side pipe to come out behind the front wheels. It is all covered by the mouldings of the side exhaust covers. I used Allens stainless 2 1/2 inch pipes and their covers. Be sure to include the heat riser or the equivalent spacer on the passenger side or their pipe will not fit quite right. Take your time and it should all go fine. The next time I had to fit the pipes was when I swapped the engine for a zz383 stroker from GM. Because I could not use the rams horns on this engine I had to go with Patriot shorty headers. This meant the Allens pipes had to be cut and fabricated stainless pipes made to fit the new headers. Still was not a big deal. I have attached a couple pictures of that process. You can see where the front fender tab has been cut just in front of the door to let the sidepipe exit from under the car.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
tl-vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just used a moto tool with a cut-off wheel. i did not see how i could bend the tabs although some have said they did it. i would imagine if you bend them all up, they would be tough to straighten later. pretty simple job though.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
vetarun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to remove the rubber splash guard seals. They almost started a fire on mine. From what I understand Sidepipe cars never came with them installed.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd save the pieces you cut off. They may come in handy one day.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

My 64 was actually pretty easy to do. I opted to not cut a keyhole in the frame for the mount. I only had to cut the front tab off, for some reason the rear tab did not interfere. What I did was to cut the front tab off and also all the tabs along the frame had to be cut (bending did not work). After installing the headers and side pipe I put the back end of the side pipes on pieces of wood and then cut the head off a grade 8 bolt. I installed the grommets and bolt and noted where the cut off head portion of the bolt sat on the frame. Welded it on. Been great for years.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all so far. Since mine is a 66 I have the keyhole in the frame, that part is easy. The hard part is cutting away the fiberglass. I guess I could save the pieces in a box with the other original parts that I have opted to change out (will I ever get that Holley to perform right?). Thanks again and looking forward to more help, with more pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Side Exhaust HELP!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Exhaust HELP!