C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Style A&A + Restrictor Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 AM
FRC Joe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Style A&A + Restrictor Plate?

Has anyone used a restrictor plate with the newer style plastic inlet elbow from the A&A kit? I'd be interested in seeing the method of mounting you used. I'm not crazy about just leaving the plate held in by friction in the filter. In several test fittings it's been very easy for the plate to accidentally slip out into the filter. I've got a couple of ideas for mounting it securely but would love to get a peek at other solutions. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Make something like this?
Mine has a second smaller restrictor attached, so ignore that part.
Use nyloc nuts, maybe some loctite too. Don't need those parts going through the blower.
I guess stainless button-heads would have looked nicer than philips screws, huh.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Joe I have the plate out and I will take a picture for you later on when I get back home. It fits VERY snug and wont slip and drop into the filter.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
FRC Joe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Make something like this?
Mine has a second smaller restrictor attached, so ignore that part.
Use nyloc nuts, maybe some loctite too. Don't need those parts going through the blower.
I guess stainless button-heads would have looked nicer than philips screws, huh.
That looks like a great design . Unfortunatley for me the A&A filter is an offset outlet model with no usable lip on the inside for more than 180°. I thought about a simlar plate that would only be secured on one side, but now am leaning towards making the restrictor(s) 1/4" thk and able to slide into the end of the tube with an interference fit. The thickness will be enough to drill and tap into the sides for #8 fasteners. I figure a minimum 3 flat head fasteners in countersunk holes through the plasitic elbow. The filter clamp can then be really cranked down without fear of deforming the plastic elbow since the restrictor will be directly under it. I dunno though, I cant help but thinking a simpler solution is out there.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's an idea that I had that might work for you:

If you cut it out of some type of thinner gauge sheet metal, then you can bend the tabs up towards the motor and then put the filter over the tabs and clamp it down. The tabs will hold the restrictor and the clamps/air filter will hold the tabs. Make sure that the hole size is right because I don't think that you'd want to mess that up or it could be a Big mess!

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I've wondered if one of the prefilters, or filter cover "socks" might reduce flow enough, and provide better filtering at the same time.

Such as THESE

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-11-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
JeremiahsC5
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to follow this thread. Very interested in getting this set up done right.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Restrictor Plate? Please tell me the purpose of the plate.
Thank you
Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM
FRC Joe
Instructor

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Joe I have the plate out and I will take a picture for you later on when I get back home. It fits VERY snug and wont slip and drop into the filter.
Thanks Nouman!

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
Here's an idea that I had that might work for you:

If you cut it out of some type of thinner gauge sheet metal, then you can bend the tabs up towards the motor and then put the filter over the tabs and clamp it down. The tabs will hold the restrictor and the clamps/air filter will hold the tabs. Make sure that the hole size is right because I don't think that you'd want to mess that up or it could be a Big mess!

Good Luck!
I was thinking of something similar, using a different, thinner material for tabs. Something like .250" wide strips of stainless shim stock riveted to the plate. The thinness would be to prevent an air leak back into the filter. It also worth noting that the "fold" of the material will be trying to conform to the round shape of the inlet tube, so having a wide tabs will cause problems.

Originally Posted by SleeperC5
Restrictor Plate? Please tell me the purpose of the plate.
Thank you
A restrictor plate limits the amount of air able to go into the supercharger inlet. At lower RPMs, the plate is able to flow enough air to keep the pressure at the inlet at or near atmospheric, so the blower makes boost normally. At higher RPMs when the blower's demand for air is greater, the restrictor lets less air through. The pressure at the blower inlet then begins to drop below atmospheric, and the boost the blower is able to make is similarly lowered. A restrictor allows you to run a small pulley that will make boost early, but them limit the top end boost to preserve a stock motor. I'm having 5 plates made with the area of the openings in .25in² increments from 5in² to 6in². Hopefully one of them will land me at 10psi max boost, or out comes the power drill!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A restrictor plate limits the amount of air able to go into the supercharger inlet. At lower RPMs, the plate is able to flow enough air to keep the pressure at the inlet at or near atmospheric, so the blower makes boost normally. At higher RPMs when the blower's demand for air is greater, the restrictor lets less air through. The pressure at the blower inlet then begins to drop below atmospheric, and the boost the blower is able to make is similarly lowered. A restrictor allows you to run a small pulley that will make boost early, but them limit the top end boost to preserve a stock motor. I'm having 5 plates made with the area of the openings in .25in² increments from 5in² to 6in². Hopefully one of them will land me at 10psi max boost, or out comes the power drill![/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks for answer to my question
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Good thoughts, Joe.
I'd be a little wary about going small on material in a high velocity air stream though. Funny resonances can happen, fatiguing a material to failure.
Maybe Skunkworks will comment........I'm convinced he knows much more about some of my pro areas than I do.

Moving air can make flexible things dance around like butt-cheeks in a chile breeze.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-11-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

something like this???

i made a couple of these at work with different diameter holes, those small tabs go around the outside of the intake tube adn the air filter pinches down on them so it's held in place pretty good
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by C5kid
something like this???

i made a couple of these at work with different diameter holes, those small tabs go around the outside of the intake tube adn the air filter pinches down on them so it's held in place pretty good
Mine looks just like that! Only with 2 tabs
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

A&A does restrictor plates now too?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by undertaker
Dude it's a concept older then your and my age put together and then multiplied by X...

Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 AM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by undertaker
Yep!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Dude it's a concept older then your and my age put together and then multiplied by X...

Mike
sweet....so thats where those super dooper plates under the carbs on nascar crapboxes comes from under that carburator thingie majig...

Get notified of new replies

To New Style A&A + Restrictor Plate?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks

Mike

Concept yes, made Corvette mainstream by. . . .

When we started using these no one had a clue as to why, we had to explain it to everyone, and if you recall.... you were very much against the idea...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Concept yes, made Corvette mainstream by. . . .

When we started using these no one had a clue as to why, we had to explain it to everyone, and if you recall.... you were very much against the idea...
Uhm yes and no... If I remember correctly, concern was over inlet pressure distortion which can be a surge trigger. I think close coupling was the big concern... The Novi 2K has turned out to have a wide operating range and works well with restrictor disk.

Mike
Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
FRC Joe
Instructor

Default restrictors, olympic style

Originally Posted by C5kid
something like this???

Man that's the one. Unfortunately I'd already arranged to have these cut with a "laser".

Time for me to get crackin!

Quick Reply: New Style A&A + Restrictor Plate?