C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Question: Race Mesh Side Cove Screens

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 AM
n2f
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Question: Race Mesh Side Cove Screens

I've got the stainless steel side cove screens from Race Mesh that I want to install this weekend. There does not appear to be a lot of extra screen material on the edges that sit against the bodywork where the screens should attach so I''m a bit apprehensive about getting this done...

Anyone have any tips or advice they'd care to share?

I'll use a floor jack (and probably jack stands) to have the front wheels removed before I get started.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Montero1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Racemesh

Yes, they cut it real close- Mine have been on for 9 months through rain, cold, heat,wind, and daily driver bumps, still haven't fallen off- I used double stick tape I bought from an Auto store. If I had to do it over, I'd use some type of epoxy, or one of those two-part deals you mash together that forms a hard putty then dries rock hard.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get some silicone adhesive and use as much as u can around all the edges being real careful not to let it ooze out onto the body. Thats what I had to do because the tape was useless and it will not hold. It was a real PITA to install but well worth it. Have a friend help u as u might need another set of hands, I know I did. Good luck
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
n2f
Racer

Hmmm, kind of what I had imagined but it's great to have some first-hand info. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
SvetteC6
Racer

Default I Agree

I've had my side race mesh screens since November. When I got them I said the same thing you did. I installed the front screen the same day but I'm still thinking about a better way to install the side screens.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchase more of the 3m industrial tape and also used the black RTV in between the taped areas.

They have held for almost 2 years now in the AZ heat and 18K miles.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 AM
n2f
Racer

Originally Posted by KarlK
I purchase more of the 3m industrial tape and also used the black RTV in between the taped areas.

They have held for almost 2 years now in the AZ heat and 18K miles.
I wonder if Gorilla Glue instead of the black RTV or silicon glue would work better? Ended up using that stuff on a pan lid **** and that stuff is amazing; countless heat-cycles through the dishwasher and still soild as a rock...

Not sayin' I'll ever run my Vette through a dishwasher, I'm just sayin'

Happy Friday!

Last edited by n2f; 02-08-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
GonzoTheGreat
Advanced

Originally Posted by n2f
I wonder if Gorilla Glue instead of the black RTV or silicon glue would work better? Ended up using that stuff on a pan lid **** and that stuff is amazing; countless heat-cycles through the dishwasher and still soild as a rock...

Happy Friday!
I used silicon glue and that worked like a champ thus far. I did my install without removing the wheel (what a pain) , and honestly if i had to do it again, I would have taken the wheel off.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my side screens from Race Mesh since November also. I have been debating how I will install them.
I plan to remove the front wheels even though some people said they did them with the wheels on the car.
I have someone in the Auto Body Repair business I know who owns a Z06. I'm thinking of asking him to help me.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Originally Posted by n2f

Happy Friday!
Not sure about the Gorilla Glue, I think that stuff is kind of runny? RTV is more like a gel and doesn't run.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
I've had my side screens from Race Mesh since November also. I have been debating how I will install them.
I plan to remove the front wheels even though some people said they did them with the wheels on the car.
I have someone in the Auto Body Repair business I know who owns a Z06. I'm thinking of asking him to help me.
I just cranked the wheel, stop to stop and gained access that way. Yes, taking the wheels off would have been a bit easier. Simple adder really, don't know why you would need a body shop to do it unless they could offer a better adhesive used in the trade?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
POPA-VT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetsvett
Get some silicone adhesive and use as much as u can around all the edges being real careful not to let it ooze out onto the body. Thats what I had to do because the tape was useless and it will not hold. It was a real PITA to install but well worth it. Have a friend help u as u might need another set of hands, I know I did. Good luck
I did the same thing. Used clear silicone. Tape was useless, would have been better if I had another pair of hands.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
POPA-VT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STEVE MC

Steve,

Did mine today finally. Took wheels off and still a P.I.T.A.. Another set of hands is better. Will call tomorrow about Sunday morning and can discuss about helping you with install some sat or sun.

Jerry

Last edited by POPA-VT; 02-08-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM
LilRedC6Vette
Racer

TO ALL -

Read the RaceMesh Grilles instructions and follow them, no short cuts, just do it and you will have NO PROBLEMS. GESH......................

NOTE: They ship with both 3M tape and RTV Clear Silicone. CLEAN the contact areas as described, then use the 3M tape to "tack" the RaceMesh into place, then apply the RTV Clear Silicone around the perimeter and let it cure at least 1 hour before you hit the road.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

I have installed the RaceMesh side grills and it came out great. My recommendation is to buy a large tube of silicone glue, they ship a small one. The tape should only be used (IMO) to hold the grill in place while the glue sets. Apply lots of silicone and make sure it's thick enough to touch the sides and go well into the metal grill all the way around. If you do too much it shows on the outside, but you can clean it with Q-Tips.

Here is my silicone application from the inside:

Here is my idea on how to hold the grill solid until the silicone sets (that is the jack handle which will be right next to the grill when you lift the car):

Last edited by DaveC6; 02-08-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Finished product:

Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did mine about two weeks ago and it was a royal P.I.T.A. There really isn't much room to work in and definitely, take the tire off. The lip on the inside of the fender facing the outside has enough room for the grill to sit on but the other side, engine side, has hardly any surface area. Make sure you use a lot of 3M tape and RTV Clear Silicone plus I also bought extra 3M tape to use. I even talked to a GM tech that was installing them at the dealer and he said he used hot glue a few times and these were the GM screens which are supposed to fit a little better.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Question: Race Mesh Side Cove Screens

Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM
n2f
Racer

Originally Posted by LilRedC6Vette
TO ALL -

Read the RaceMesh Grilles instructions and follow them, no short cuts, just do it and you will have NO PROBLEMS. GESH......................

Mine did not come with instructions
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by n2f
Mine did not come with instructions
You have to download instructions from their website.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
n2f
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveC6
I have installed the RaceMesh side grills and it came out great. My recommendation is to buy a large tube of silicone glue, they ship a small one. The tape should only be used (IMO) to hold the grill in place while the glue sets. Apply lots of silicone and make sure it's thick enough to touch the sides and go well into the metal grill all the way around. If you do too much it shows on the outside, but you can clean it with Q-Tips.

Here is my silicone application from the inside:

Here is my idea on how to hold the grill solid until the silicone sets (that is the jack handle which will be right next to the grill when you lift the car):

Those are great pictures; thanks for posting. My screens did not come with instructions so I took the car apart this afternoon but couldn't tell exactly how the black plastic internal piece (the part you actually see when looking from the outside of the car into the vent opening) came loose from the fender. Seeing your picture makes it look like the internal partition is held to the fender with only adhesive tape and just needs a bit of a tug to free it up.

I messed with it for about 45 minutes using the clear silicon that came with the kit but I had no luck getting the screen to stay in place so I gave up and put it all back together. Glad I saw your post because the screens were destined for the bin.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll tackle it again using the tape and a big tube of white silicone adhesive. (I like your solution for holding the screens in place while the glue sets ).

Last edited by n2f; 02-08-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Install Question: Race Mesh Side Cove Screens