C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal Fan Questions AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Roy M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spal Fan Questions AGAIN

Recently I asked several questions about the dual Spal fan set up and received good information. I am now back to ask more quetions.
My water temperature gage is mounted in the head between Nos. 1 & 3 cylinders. When I got the fans, I told them that the only place I could mount the temperature sensor was in the thermostat housing so I was sent a 1/2" pipe threaded sensor.
No problem getting everything hooked up after asking a few questions.
My problem now is that I have a 180 degree thermostat [modified to let coolant flow through 3 small holes constantly]. The sensor that I have for the fans is suppose to energise the fans on at 185 degrees and shut them down at 165 degrees.
I can start the car and the temperature will get to 200 degrees [ this reading is through digital gage and has been checked with thermal gun to be accurate] before the fans will kick on and they will kick off when the temperature gage is somewhere around 195 degrees.
I called the company I purchased the fans from and they thought that I might have a defective sensor so they sent a new one and the problem is still there.
It would be my thoughts that the temperature of the water at the termostat housing would be as hot or hotter than in the head where the temperature gage is located.
Has anyone experienced such a problem or do you have any ideas as what might be wrong or what I might do to correct this problem.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2001, 09:41 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Spal Fan Questions AGAIN (Roy M)

Hey Roy I just looked at my Instructions for the Spal Fans. It states that "The thermostat supplied with the kit is an OE type that is designed to mount in the cylinder head of any engine. Any other mounting location will cause the mounting location will cause the fan to come on at a higher tempature." Maybe this is the source of the problem. Can you put it back in the head???

Old 12-02-2001, 10:25 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familar with the spals. But does it not have a adjustable control so you can control when the fan comes on or off. My 210 flexi lites has this feature. I was thinking of trying the spals on the 76 so I'd have one of each type and would be in a position to comment on which is better. But it sounds like the spals relies only on the sensor Is this correct. No range of adjustment.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:53 PM
2nspire
Racer

Default Re: Spal Fan Questions AGAIN (paso)

I do have the spals but they are, at the moment, run directly off a couple of toggle switches. Sorry I am no help.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:35 AM
Roy M
Instructor

Default Re: Spal Fan Questions AGAIN (2nspire)

I have the Vortec Heads and as far as I can tell there is no other place where I can mount the temp. sensor. So I either had to go to the manifold or the thermostate housing. The only place on the manifold is directly below the radiator hose where it mounts to the thermostat housing and it is too large to fit there.
This particular sensor that I have is not adjustable.
One possiblility that I thought of after I posted the message. I have a chrome thermostat housing. The sensor only has one wire and the threaded area serves as a ground. Could it be a possibility that due to the chrome thermostat housing I am not getting a good ground.
Still at a loss, hoping for more ideas.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:23 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Roy,

You may want to call and check that thermostat switch again. The standard oine I got with my Spal kit is on at 195, off at 175. The optional sensor is on at 185, off at 165. I also have a 180 thermostat.

The problem I have is that once it gets hot enough to runs the fans (195), the thermostat never lets it get cool enough (175) to poopie off unless the car is just idling. Usually, if I get on the highway quick enough, it will stay below 195 and the fans stay off (even in 100F temp) but as soon as I slow down and the fans kick on, they are on for a while. :rolleyes:

As for your problem, I would double check the sensor (I could swear it has the temp on it but I just looked at mine in the garage and couldn't find it. Probably on the bottom) and then check the grounding of the housing.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:47 AM
Roy M
Instructor

Default Re: Spal Fan Questions AGAIN (SteveG75)

SteveG,
You are correct about the normal sensor, on at 195 and off at 175 but it has 3/8" pipe threads. The size of the threaded hole on thermostate housing is 1/2" pipe threads. I told the guy that I purchased the fans from and he said the only sensor they had would be on at 185 and off at 165 degrees.
Where do you have yours sensor mounted? I may switch out the thermostat housing to see if this helps any, am a a total loss right now. Just don't feel that it is right.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:41 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got 3 Spall fans: One big one in front and 2 smaller side by side fans on the engine side. The big one goes on at about 205F and the smaller ones go on at 185. I have a switch to disable the smaller fans on the engine side for highway driving. Since the thermostat is a 180, I don't want the fans to continue running when I'm on the highway and don't need any fans. I placed each of the two sensors in the cylinder heads. The Spall fans really work!

Chuck
Old 12-03-2001, 03:46 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

SteveG,
You are correct about the normal sensor, on at 195 and off at 175 but it has 3/8" pipe threads. The size of the threaded hole on thermostate housing is 1/2" pipe threads. I told the guy that I purchased the fans from and he said the only sensor they had would be on at 185 and off at 165 degrees.
Where do you have yours sensor mounted? I may switch out the thermostat housing to see if this helps any, am a a total loss right now. Just don't feel that it is right.
Roy,

I went to the local Schucks and picked up a thermostat housing that had two holes in it one was 3/8" and one was 1/2". Plugged the 1/2" and used the 3/8" so the sensor would get right into the coolant. Hit the housing with a little chrome paint (it was cast iron) and it looks OK on the old Performer.

May go back to the chrome one I used to have if I swap the heads and can get to the holes on the new ones. :eek:
Old 12-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Roy M
Instructor

Just a guick update for those interested. Called Norskog this am, asking questions about the temperature gage thinking that this might be a problem. They had me to run a check on the gage and it is bad. Didn't have a problem [or I don't think so with the fans], the main problem that I have now is that I have to take the complete dash out and send all the instruments to California for them to replace a chip on the board. One good thing is that the gages have a lifetime warranty on them. They promised a quick turn-around. So much fun taking the instrument cluster out but at least this may solve my problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Spal Fan Questions AGAIN

Quick Reply: Spal Fan Questions AGAIN