C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door springs anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 08:44 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door springs anyone??

I know the topic has come up before.. I bought new "S" springs to install. I know how to put them in and have a tool to do it. The problem is that the rollers are frozen. I have tried soaking them with liquid wrench to no avail. Unlless the rollere are free, when you install the new spring and try to close the door, the spring pops out of the upper slot instead of rolling into place. Any ideas on how to free up the rollers without taking the doors off? :confused:

[Modified by silvervetteman, 6:45 PM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 10:25 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Door springs anyone?? (silvervetteman)

I just ran into this problem last Friday.
I used a torch like propane but instead it is MAPP gas comes in a yellow container. (I don't have welding equipment so I use the MAPP gas which I buy at hardware store) Set the flame so it is real small and heat each roller, then as it is cooling spray the roller with WD40 or PB Blaster or any kind of penetrating oil. (It will smoke because of the heat coming in contact with the oil)
Let it cool and try to work the rollers with a pair of pliers. Less than 10 minutes work, and both rollers were turning nice and free. Spray again with some penetrating oil or any lubricant to keep them free and you are done.
Watch out for flame on fiberglass as it is highly flammable. That's why I said use a small tip flame, adjust it down and heat the CENTER of the roller head.
Worked great for me.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:27 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Door springs anyone?? (ksbunting)

Great idea! I have a small hobby torch that will be perfect for the job.Thanks
Old 12-03-2001, 10:43 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Door springs anyone?? (silvervetteman)

Go buy a can of P B Blaster, this stuff will work 10 times better than WD 40 at busting rusted parts / bolts loose. Spray it on and let it set, then spray it on again and let it set, do this for a couple of days and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I do not work for PB Blaster nor do I sell the stuff, I just use it now that another forum member recommended it to me, and I've not found another product that comes close to working as good as it does for the price. I purchase P B Blaster at a local auto parts store, and consider it an essential "tool" for working on these 20 to 30 year old C3s.

I wrote the door spring installation tech tip and should have said to use PB Blaster, but just forgot to do so.

You're right, that you will continue to break the springs until you free up the rollers.

Get notified of new replies

To Door springs anyone??

Quick Reply: Door springs anyone??