C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 04:27 PM
I978vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with brake lights

my brake lights dont seem to like to work.. i have chekced all fuses and replaced the stop/hazard to be sure. sometimes they work but it seems to be only for a few minutes or so.. i also checked the switch on the brake pedal to see if that wasnt being set right.. it is but still no lights.. anyone know whats up. like is this a common problem.. i also have one more question. i have just got my vette and the guy didnt have an owners manual. but i have this switch next to my AC/HEAT controls. it just flips on and a green light comes on but i cant tell what it does. any clue?
Old 12-02-2001, 04:47 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: problems with brake lights (I978vette)

Don't know about the brake lights, but the switch is for the back glass defroster.
Jason :flag
Old 12-02-2001, 06:00 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure how different my '77 is from your 78, but two problems were affecting my brake lights:

1. The wiring harness had come loose behind the driver and fallen onto the muffler at some point in the car's life. This melted quite a few wires together and destroyed quite a bit of insulation.

2. The wiring harness' ground at the driver's rear corner was just hanging.

After cleaning up those two problems, my brake lights behave much better.

One problem I still have is that I have to depress the pedal an inch or two (about that, at any rate, my brakes are starting to grab... ) before the brake lights will come on. I haven't looked for it yet, but I understand that the brake light switch and a "bundle" of wires are on the steering column and can create some problems if defective or loose.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:16 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

I have a chevy truck that acted about the same way as your vette and I found it to be a faulty switch. It may not be the problem but it could be something worth checking out!
Old 12-02-2001, 06:38 PM
I978vette
Cruising

i went today and got a new switch.. gonna see if that works.. its just strange.. i played with the switch the other day and out of no where the lights worked.. then 15mins later.. nothing.. i played with the switch again and this time with no luck.. im on my way to the garage to change the switch out.. and Thanks for the info on that switch.. seeing i have tinted rear windows being replaced i now know the original owner didnt disconnect the switch... using redefrost on tinted windows makes the tint all crappy.. so when i get the new tint the switch is gonna be disconnected.. thanks everyone for helpy out a newbie in this world of vettes.. being a recent 5.0 owner i have found more help here than i used to with other mustang owner.. most of them wont help for fear of giving away there secret power.. LOL in most cases they just didnt want your car better than theres..
Old 12-02-2001, 08:32 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have a good connection on this plug under your dash attached to the column.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:36 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

I had same problem with my 81 and since I had just dropped the steering column down a little to get at speedo then I guessed maybe switch gang plug was loose.I reached to the gang plug and pulled it down tight against the switch.Brake lights have been fine ever since.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:17 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Default Re: problems with brake lights (all smiles 81)

Corvette Fever Magazine had an article about this problem in the last issue and it turned out to be the turn signal switch in the steering column.
John
Old 12-03-2001, 03:00 PM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: problems with brake lights (theandies)

I spent HOURS troubleshooting my brake wires. This included replacing the whole rear wire harness (mine had also fallen on the mufflers and melted). My problem was that the brake fuse would blow after driving the car for anytime from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

Turned out to be a short in the turn signal switch. Had that replaced and voila no more brake fuses...

Tim M.

Get notified of new replies

To problems with brake lights

Quick Reply: problems with brake lights