C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum, 1000's of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 08:58 AM
keith72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum, 1000's of questions

New to the forum, hello to everyone. My 14 year old and I sold the dirt bikes few weeks ago (I'm too old) and bought a '72 coupe that has sat in my neighbor's yard for 2-3 years. We will recondition it for him to drive in a couple of years, (yes lots of parental leverage there!). I'm stoked about finally owning a vette, and have about 14,078 questions. If they come out stupid, forgiveness in advance.

Car story:

Wrecked 3 years ago by the owners girlfriend (read ex-girlfriend!) and it has sat covered up. Will need a windshield, rt door, rear clip. Interior is intact except for replacing carpet. Frame and chassis are solid with just a little rust. Serial numbers don't match, but it does have a '72 year model 350, originally installed in a truck according to numbers. So, I'm probably not going the full restoration route, just want a really cool daily driver.

Here's a couple of my initial questions:

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for places/contacts to find used C3 parts in the Atlanta area? Probably won't be buying until spring, just wanted to start scouting.
2. Does anyone have some guidelines on removing the rear clip? I'm getting the assembly manual and other reference books, just wanted some "been there done that" advice.

That's the first of many. Thanks. Great forum, let me know if I'm doing it right.

Old 12-02-2001, 09:01 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (keith72)

not too much help on the used parts but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and good luck with the 72. :cheers:remember just ask there alot of guys and gals that have the answers here.

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 8:01 AM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 09:09 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Welcome to the best information source on the net. There are many helpful folks here that can answer just about anything about anything. Although I am not one of them. I don`t know where there is a used corvette parts place in Atlanta but I do know about The Last Detail. They probably have the best price on all corvette prices. Check them out sometime when you are looking at getting new parts.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:25 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. 14 years old and looking at driving a 72 not to shabby. I don't know about used parts in Ga. but you can try:
Stoudt Corvette Parts
They are in Reading Pa I think and they have new, used and reconditioned parts. I have always had good luck with them. I dont have their number handy but I am positive that it is an 800 number.

Another one that I know is Dunshee's Corvette parts. He is in Phoenix AZ,his number is 602-938-8895. You can also try Gruhala Enterprises I dont have that number in front of me either. I ordered some parts from him and was very pleased with his serivce.
Have fun
JoeB
Old 12-02-2001, 10:26 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Keith,
Welcome to the C3 Family! Nice choice of year models as well!! :cheers:

On your question #1, I use to live in Peachtree City and found a pretty good repair shop in Fayetteville called Corvette Country. They had a pretty good selection of used and new parts.

One warning though. They have a reputation for not being very friendly! The shop is owned and operated by a family (father, son and uncle). The father is the one most people meet when they walk in the door. He is gruff and lacks all cutomer service skills! HOWEVER, the son (John) is great to talk to. He is the technical side of the operation, along with the uncle. You live (Jonesboro) close enough to Fayetteville that it won't hurt to check them out. Try to talk with John! He won't remember my name, but tell him the guy that use to own the white '79 (when I lived there) and now lives in Charlotte w/ the red '72 big block, recommended that you stop by. I see John at the Knoxville and Carlisle shows every year. I think he will remember me.

Qestion #2....Sorry no experience removing the rear clip. I am sure someone here will be able to help!!

Again...WELCOME!!
Old 12-02-2001, 11:00 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (QikStik)

Way to go Dad :) Welcome to the forum from the Great White North Extra layer last night) Good project you two have him only 14 that gives you two years to do a good job with lots of time. Assuming the driving age is 16. Of coarse Dad might be anxious to get the car on the road:) to make sure it's road worthy for the son to drive ;) ;) Right Dad Good luck and ask any question.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:12 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (pats406nitrovette)

welcome to the forum...

THe best company that i have found is ecklers down in florida, great price, and fast shipping.

I cant help you much on the body work but i can say Good luck :cheers:

always waving :seeya
Old 12-02-2001, 11:26 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Keith -
Welcome to our "family" of Vette eccentrics! Youre going to find a bunch of really great guys and gals here on this site.

The rear "clip" does not come off the car separately. Unless you are referring to something else, the rear clip is the main body of the car. The body can be pulled off the frame in one piece, but the rear part of the body must be cut off in order to be removed from the rest. The only bolt-on, normally-servicable body panels on a Vette are the doors and hood. Everything else must be cut off in order to be replaced.

It's not actually tough to do, but it is quite time consuming to properly re-align a new rear clip and get it all correctly bonded together. We've done quite a few "hard-hit" front and rear clip replacements at our restoration facility, yet it's not something I would want to try to do at home.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:27 AM
blademaker
Race Director

Location: Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (woodworkr)

Welcome to the forum!
I've bought parts from The last detail (power steering cylinder & control valve), and they were competitive with just about anyone around.
Ditto for the turn signal stem.
Very easy to work with.
Not familiar with Corvette country, hope to get down there soon.
Have Fun.... :cheers:

Blademaker

Blk/blk '78
Old 12-02-2001, 11:40 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome, you're off to a good start... you picked the right year :lol:
Old 12-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (yellow 72)

Welcome to the forum!

Your son has a really cool father. :cool:
Good luck with your project...
Old 12-02-2001, 03:46 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (74jack)

Welcome to the forum where there is all the help you could ask for from a bunch of great vette enthusiasts.I don't think you will replace the whole rear clip unless it is shattered.More than likely you will just replace 1/4 fenders and rear strip.Have you got a digital camera to post pics here of it?
Wave on. \ ////
Old 12-03-2001, 09:17 PM
keith72
Instructor

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions (all smiles 81)

I'll try to post a picture of the damage to the rear. I may be able to replace the rear panel and patch in the rest? Any advice would be appreciated. I've done some aircraft composite work before, so I'm familiar with how, just never hurts to have some tips. I am committed to do the work myself though, can't afford to take it to a shop.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:45 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

For that small amount of damage you certainly don't want to do a whole rear clip. Replace the rear half of the quarter, cut out and replace the rear panel, and do a partial rear deck. The more you can keep of the original 'glass, the easier it is to align the new stuff. If you're interested, I have a tech paper available outlining body and paint basics for these cars. just drop me an e-mail request:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 12-03-2001, 10:01 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Welcome, you have a significant job ahead for yourself. One of the best places I've ever found to buy parts, New and used is 'Contemporary Corvette' in Bristol, PA their phone number is 215-788-8693. They are both honest and have a really vast assortment of Used Parts and New Parts. They have fields full of used C-3's and they ship anything UPS. Ask for Rocky or chris. Good Luck. :seeya
Old 12-04-2001, 09:36 PM
keith72
Instructor

Default Re: New to Forum, 1000's of questions

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your welcome and advice. I'm sure by the time were finished with the car we will be old hands in the forum and maybe poking some fun at the newbies like me. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Forum, 1000's of questions

Quick Reply: New to Forum, 1000's of questions