C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wet sand? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 03:02 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to wet sand? Help!

I have a few little bumps in my newly painted hood. I have been meaning to wet sand them out, but I am terrified of making it look worse.

How do you go about wet sanding these areas? Do I need to do the whole car, or can I get away with just the hood?

thanks
Old 12-02-2001, 03:10 AM
ridged84
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How to wet sand? Help! (70 LS1)

bumps like dirt or orange peel what kind of paint?
Old 12-02-2001, 03:21 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to wet sand? Help! (ridged84)

looks like an imperfection in the clear coat. The can of leftover base coat says it is a polyester paint.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:55 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

When you do the hood it will look different (smoother) than the rest of the car so you will most likely end up doing the whole car. What kind of paint? what color? metalic? clear coat? need more info to help. :cool:
Old 12-02-2001, 08:52 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: How to wet sand? Help! (silvervetteman)

does it have clear over ?it if it does wet sand it with 1500 then buff with a buffer and some compound like 3 m brand,just lightly scuff till the shine is gone dont go too deep not knowing how much clear is on the car.If its single stage with a hardner then id do the same thing.like the previuos post once you do the hood youll want to do the rest it takes any orange peel out and smooths it.if its not too bad go with 2000 grit then buff.You ever buff a car out with a machine?Just be careful you can burn right threw it.Oh and dont sand in circles :D

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 7:52 AM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 09:06 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I use an air buffer made for paint work. I feel safer with it around water. A "grinder" with a polishing pad will work fine IF it is variable speed. You need to control it to a slower speed. They do make electric buffers for that purpose. Rotunda is one brand I remember. The grinder polishers are too fast and can burn through before you realize it. (Too late then) Just be real careful. You can drive down here and I'll help. Hehehe

[Modified by silvervetteman, 7:07 AM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 10:52 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not so sure I would wanna wet sand any newly painted car. Clear coat or not. I would definatly get a professional to take a look and give you an opinion. It really depends on what kinda paint is on there. I would never muck with a clear coat.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How to wet sand? Help! (Jvette73)

I just wet sanded mine. It had two coats of urethane clear over blue.. It came out real nice without sanding through anywhere. Urethane is tough stuff! Jvette is right though. It does depend a lot on how much and what kind of paint you have.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:23 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff
Go to my website in my signature and look at "Reviving Old Paint" under restoration topics. I think you'll find what you need there. Good luck. :seeya
Old 12-02-2001, 08:45 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to wet sand? Help! (vettfixr)

thanks to all of you. Let me give you a little more info.

My car was repainted about two years ago. The hood was done about a year ago. The whole car looks great except for the few (four or five) small bumps on the hood. You almost can't notice them. The guy who painted the hood said I would be able to "wet sand them out." The car has never been buffed and has been in the garage the entire time.

I may know how to transplant an LS1 into a 30 year old car, but when it comes to paint I am dumb. I do know it has some acrylic in there somewhere. And that it has a couple of base coats and a couple of clear coats.

I hope this helps you help me.

Get notified of new replies

To How to wet sand? Help!

Quick Reply: How to wet sand? Help!