C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 10:28 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon!

Perhaps my last message for several weeks. My ISP is Excite@home through Rogers cable here in Canada. There are others in Canada such as Shaw using the same ISP cable service. Excite went Chapter 11 in September and legal rulings yesterday in California concluded that Excite could cut off service here in Canada except to Calgary, Alberta. So I may be out of here for several weeks. I have converted my e-mail but if things last beyond 3:00am tomorrow, are you happy with your telephone high-speed links? Anyone convert to Bell Sympatico? I have heard nothing but bad news about that service. Hope to see you soon, whatever comes about :) .

[Modified by paul79, 9:37 PM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-01-2001, 10:42 PM
chevyman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (paul79)

Me too. I have a dial up isp as a backup. I can give you free internet access if you give me you area code if you want. Drop me a line
Old 12-01-2001, 10:46 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Paul,
I've got *** Internet cable down here in Texas and they also use Excite for some of their cable sytems. I'm not sure if I am going to be affected or not, but I suspect I will be. I have heard that *** has been working on their own system since September so they can get off of Excite.
Heck I might be cut off with you.
As for how do I like my cable service, "It Suckz!!" Just like the commercials for DSL have been saying. When I first got it, it was blazingly fast, but as more and more people got on it, the speed dropped and dropped. Last week it actually slowed to less than 33K modem speed (I ran a speed test.)
It is really too bad that the telephone company here is so out of it. I'd get DSL in a minute if they offered it in my area (they offer it, but you have to be within 2 1/2 miles of the CO (central office) or an remote replicator. Two years ago the phone company told me I could get DSL within 90 days. They are still saying 90 days. Southwestern Bell Suckz, too!
Old 12-01-2001, 10:57 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (Smokehouse69)

Yes, they got me off Excite for my e-mail in a panic but general access I do not know. See you (or will not) in the morning. I will try! There are some 420,000 Rogers@home subscribers that will be in limbo tonight.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (chevyman)

Oh Dear. Thanks for the offer but do I have to hear that modem doing its thing again. In fact, I do not have one now. Seriously, that is a kind offer. Tomorrow morning we shall see. I really do not want to go to an AOL-type service. I have been spoiled by the LanCity cable modem. It is fast. Let's see what Decemember 2 brings. I may be still here. The high-tech wizards may find a solution. They do drive C5s after all so have some class ;) .
Old 12-01-2001, 11:23 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul I have sympatico 's high speed (QLO is business only) and not had any problems. Of coarse Sasktel is slightly ahead of other phone company's But I guess they are all part of stencor. Out west here the @home.com's all switched to shaw.com.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:30 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul,

Nine months ago I switched from Rogers@Home to Sympatico Hi-Speed out of pure frustration with poor service and "who-cares" attitude to telephone support from Rogers.

With cable I was always having eMail or connection problems - absolutely NO reliability.

With Bell DSL..................one temporary eMail outage in nine months!

Amazing! :cheers:
Old 12-02-2001, 03:03 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (67HEAVEN)

I have been very pleased with Rogers cable internet. It has been working very
reliably for a year. Paul79 your internet will work tommorrow they just switch servers and that's it. May be a few gliches but they will be straightend out :D
Old 12-02-2001, 11:35 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

I am still here...for now. Looks from the morning newspaper that Excite cut off service to 850,000 customers of AT&T Broadband in the USA.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:06 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

That's good news Paul I couldn't imagine you trying to post all the pictures you have at your finger tips using dial up :)
Old 12-02-2001, 12:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (paso)

Paso,
The funny thing is that my car is in storage and I cannot take pics of it. But after 2 1/2 years here in the Forum you can pretty well anticipate the questions so I take what I believe will be useful pics before it goes in storage ;) .
Old 12-02-2001, 12:26 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (Smokehouse69)

Paul

That's good you're still on.

Steve

If you or anyone else needs a rec.- I have Earthlink which includes Mindspring & Sprynet which is very good. They say they are NO. 1.
http://www.earthlink.net or (800) 395-8425
Say GaneyS@sprynet.com sent you.

This reminds me of the time a new radio station came on the air & said they were the No. 2 radio station in the whole world ! Said they were sure they were No. 2 since everyone else was No. 1.

:cheers:
Old 12-02-2001, 12:27 PM
DCShark
Racer

Paul
I've used Bell Sympatico exclusively for years and have never had a problem. The high speed version is excellant and surprisingly :D very fast. I'm using a P11 333 so my computer is not blazingly fast. Sign up it's worth every penny.
Don
Old 12-02-2001, 12:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon! (DCShark)

Thanks Ganey. Don, I am thinking seriously about Bell. I have had six service outages in the last two hours and now I can't print messages. Something about a script error??? Cable service has always been spotty but Bell certainly had problems about a year ago. Perhaps they finally got things cleaned up.

Get notified of new replies

To Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon!

Quick Reply: Excite@Home Looks Done-See You Soon!