C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixed Emotions

Old 12-01-2001, 10:13 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Mixed Emotions

After 9 months of waiting, I'm finally getting my 72 frame replacement/chasis restoration from my body shop. Thursday I'm dropping the car off for frame replacement and I'm excited as hell about it but I'm going to miss seeing her everyday. Hopefully I'll have my baby back in a month or two. I'll be visiting the body shop every week, but it won't be the same. I'll hopefully be posting some pictures as soon as I get my digital camera up and running.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:10 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Mixed Emotions (midget)

I'd be curious what a job like this, with a shop doing all the work, costs with both the cost of the frame and all the labor. Can't be too cheap.

Was the frame rusted, bent or both? Where is the shop getting the frame from and what kind of prep are they doing on the frame (paint, powder coat?, anything?). How long do they expect before completion? :smash:

I'll bet you'll be real glad to get it back! Good luck. :)

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 9:11 AM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 04:33 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe: You're right, it's not cheap. My original frame was badly rusted and I found a frame from a 73 that was solid and straight for $1500. I then had the frame dipped at Redi Strip in Allentown for $400. The frame will then be coated with POR 15 and all new brake lines, fuel lines, shocks, springs, exhaust system and lots of minor repairs will be performed. I'm looking at $5000 plus the cost of the frame but the chasis will be as good as new. I'd love to be able to do work like this myself, but I'm not much of a mechanic. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the job.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:13 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When done you'll certainly know what you have under you and will enjoy it.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2001, 07:21 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Mixed Emotions (78Vette-SA)

Think of how nice it will be when you get the car back! Winter is here (even though it dosen't feel like it) Better to do it now rather then in April!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Mixed Emotions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mixed Emotions