C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shredded Rear End?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 08:42 PM
Nailz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shredded Rear End?

Today i put some new plugs in my vette and went out for a test drive to see how much better it runs - well when i got home i thought i would leave a little rubber outside my house on the street before i put her away so i popped the clutch at about 3500 rpms, it lauched like 5 feet and did nothing but spin rpms and was still in gear - it wasnt moving at all. I cant even put it in reverse and get it to move... it just makes a weird sound from the rear end.
I havent got a chance to get it up on stands and check things out but it sounds to me like the ring gear and pinion have been shredded.

Pretty soon im going to be putting a 450+ hp 383 in it and i cant be haveing it shred rear ends left and right. Any suggestions?

[Modified by Nailz, 12:42 AM 12/2/2001]

[Modified by Nailz, 12:54 AM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-01-2001, 08:45 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shredded Rear End? (Nailz)

Damn, what kinda spark plugs did you put in it! ;)

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm betting you probably sheared the ears off a diff clutch disk or metal. Hope so at least, it's alot cheaper than replacing a ring/pinion.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Shredded Rear End? (Monty)

Join the club. I broke all the ring gear bolts at the strip 3 weeks ago. Pretty much tore up the whole thing. Take it apart and see what you have. Funy thing is mine let go on the return road and not the strip. Lucky for me. Your lucky it happened in front of your house. I was 60 miles from home :cry
Old 12-02-2001, 09:39 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Check your U joints, maybe you just blew out the drive shaft joint?
Gary
Old 12-02-2001, 01:20 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Those must be some good plugs you've got there :yesnod: ! Sounds kinda like what happened to me this summer. I down shifted to 1st and nailed the gas..................

Does your driveshaft turn going into the differential, and do you hear something grinding in there? You could have snapped the inner yoke .
Old 12-02-2001, 03:03 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shredded Rear End? (SmokedTires)

Sounds kinda like what happened to me this summer.
Does your driveshaft turn going into the differential, and do you hear something grinding in there? You could have snapped the inner yoke .
When I snapped my axle the car wouldn't move either. Happened on the starting line. Everyone thought it was the ring gear or differential. Luckily, I guess, it was just the axle.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:17 PM
Nailz
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Shredded Rear End? (nastee383)

Hehe - they are just some AC delcos that are 1 heat range higher than stock :lol: Yes the drive shaft does turn going into the differential and there is alot of grinding going on. Ill check out those U-joints tomarrow when i tear into her and see what i can find out - i really do hope its something simple but im just glad it happened now right outside my home than at the track or something.

Thanks for all you guy's help i really appreciate it

[Modified by Nailz, 8:22 PM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 04:25 PM
Nailz
Heel & Toe

OH yea and another thing i forgot to add was both of the rear wheels wiggle around when your are trying to take off in 1st or reverse gears.

Is that what happened to you Nastee383 when you broke you axles?

[Modified by Nailz, 8:25 PM 12/2/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Shredded Rear End?

Quick Reply: Shredded Rear End?