C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering going racing..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Bob D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering going racing..........

Am tossing around the possibility of going SCCA A production or Antique racing. This is just a fun venture as I know it takes a boat load of money to be competitive. And I'm just too old and don't have the reflexes that I did 30 years ago to be really competitive. But I would like to hear and feel the results of a well prepped racing V8 at WOT again.

I'd like to use a C3 because that's what I like. I'm sure I can pick up a 4 speed roller to build on, but would like to hear from someone who could point me in the right direction as far as build up requirements for a corvette.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 12-01-2001, 07:49 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Considering going racing.......... (Bob D)

Hi Bob, SCCA has a new class this year called Streetmodified. You can do anything you want to the suspension as long as it mounts in the stock locations. They also require DOT tires. Tires really have an affect on our old C3's when autocrossing. Be careful before modiy your engine as it may require things like rollbars and explosion proof bell housing (4spd). I found this out when I went to tech and they noticed the angle plug heads and aluminum intake manifold (this made both above items required for NCCC).

Go to some SCCA events and talk with people, tell them what your thinking and see what they say. I love autocrossing ! It a great deal of fun. I've also found out that it's not the most horsepower that wins, it the people out there that know how to drive their cars SMOOTHLY in these events that win. :)
Old 12-01-2001, 08:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

BobD,
The SCCA dropped A/P about 20 years ago (if not more) You can go vintage racing, however and as you live down south (sort of) you will probably be racing down south. You have two or three vintage groups to choose from, one allows almost anything (as far as rules) that would be the HSR the other has rules and enforces them,the SVRA, they also require your racer to be a "real racer" and have pre`73 history to race with the A/P & B/P cars as you remember them now known as "group 6". Be prepared to do two things in this order spend a TON of money and have a TON of fun!!
...redvetracr
Old 12-01-2001, 09:22 PM
Bob D
Advanced

Default Re: Considering going racing.......... (redvetracr)

Thanks for the reply guys - that red/white number 1 really looks a lot like what I had in mind. Very nice. I'm sorry to play dumb, but what do HSSR and SVRA stand for. Do these organizations have web sites/contacts.

I'm an X Drag racer and really don't know much about turning right or left except what I remember from the fuel gokarts we ran in the early 60's. My assumption is that I would have to attend some driving schools to gain skill profiency and a lic.

I understand that frame/suspension stiffening are requirements and safety equipment is high on my list. I've reached that point where I know I'm not invincible, but would still like to have some fun. Built some road racing & sprint car small blocks in the late 60's/early 70's and have the skills necessary to install prefab roll cages. Plus there's one engine combination I've always wanted to try and that's a 4 bolt main 400 block with a 327 stroke crank. Should pickup revs like a 302 with a lot more punch.

However, a steet modified might be easier to get into. Honestly, I believe any kind of racing requires a roll cage and a 4speed demands a scatter shield. I've seen a clutch explosion where the flywheel went up thru the dash. I guess checking into the SCCA is next unless the antique racer thing proves viable. Thanks again.

Bob
Old 12-01-2001, 11:35 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

BobD,
Try the following SVRA @ http://www.SVRA.com or http://www.HSRrace.com, this will not tell you everything you need to know but it will be a good start.You have been "gone" a long time, a scattershield is no longer necessary with the new style multi disc clutches. Also remember what i said about "history & rules" with the SVRA. You will need schooling to get your license,and unlike "drag racing" you have the opportunity to crash more than just your own car, which NOBODY wants, so "rookies" are watched carefully. ...redvetracr

PS: The #1 is for sale, it is one of three built by the Owens-Corning fiberglass racing team. One of the first two "changed hands" in the last year and a half for around $200K
Old 12-02-2001, 12:13 AM
Bob D
Advanced

Default Re: Considering going racing.......... (redvetracr)

Thanks Red, yup you're right, been out of racing for years. The last car we built was a modified 440 powered Dodge Challenger bracket car with my sons. The car was set up with 4.89's, 10" slicks and a torqueflight running the 1/8 mile. It was fun watching my 16 and 17 year olds faces the first time they punched that 440. It was that "OOOHHHH Sh****t" what have I got a hold of, look of surprise. Then really big smiles.

But, you're right. I guess I'll have to read up and figure out what the latest hot parts are. But, as far as scatter shields go, I always felt safer knowing that both the flywheel and the clutch were contained. Along with enclosed tubes or multi driveshaft hoops in case you twisted off a universal. BTW, we were running multi disk clutches in the 70's drag racing. Didn't know tho that they'd become popular with the sports car set. Thanks again.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Considering going racing..........

Quick Reply: Considering going racing..........