C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad fan clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 05:24 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bad fan clutch??

I have been having some problems with my belts, and threw on some new belts this morning...went out riding and seemed to hear an awful lot of air being pulled through the fan...i always remembered it being quite under there as far as air flow once i got going. Now i can hear air being pulled all the time....im guessing this would be a bad fan clutch??
But if it is the bad fan clutch, could this be causing my belts to wear out quickly? Cause i put those belts on this morning, and certain parts of the belt are already worn out :confused:
The only other thing i may try to do is get a shorter belt, and make it tighter, but it seems tight enough now.
Thanks Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 4:32 PM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-01-2001, 05:34 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bad fan clutch?? (74VETTE)

Chris,
I'm not sure about the clutch wearing out the belts, but I've been told you can tell a bad fan clutch by watching the fan blade when you turn of the engine. If the fan stops immediately or it keeps on spinning for a while after you kill the engine the clutch is shot. I beleive the blade should rotate 2-3 times with a healthy clutch.
:cheers:
-Tom
Old 12-01-2001, 09:28 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: bad fan clutch?? (427_Roadster)

Thanks 427_Roadster......
Ill have to check that out at least to find out if the clutch is bad.
Does it really matter if we use a themal clutch fan on the c3's or if we use an RPM relative clutch??
Thanks
Chris
Old 12-01-2001, 11:16 PM
yogi78
Instructor

If it is really loud,and louder the faster you go (Howls) then your fan clutch is probably locking up. An easy way to tell if your fan clutch is bad is to just try to turn it when the engine is off. It should turn freely but you should notice some drag, as if it had some fluid resistance. It should not freewheel or lock up.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:30 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need the thermal locking clutch, and absolutely if you have much horsepower or A/C. Also, if the clutch can be spun easily or is locked tight, get rid of it. I had one separate from the shaft, and went into the radiator. One blade broke off and went through the hood. Fortunately it was not on my vette, but it was still messy.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :seeya
Old 12-02-2001, 02:13 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

I have a 79 vette that the clutch fan started running all the time because it was set up. When I got the belts off there was alot of play to the blades, it wasn't wearing the belts yet but was about ready to go through my radiator. I suggest you replace the clutch soon, the price of a new cluch fan is cheaper than a new radiator.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:57 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: bad fan clutch?? (MikeE.79)

I suggest you replace the clutch soon, the price of a new cluch fan is cheaper than a new radiator.
I BET ITS A LOT CHEAPER!! :yesnod:
although ive had the recent attitude of hoping things break so i can upgrade them to better! :D :smash: Im sure its a little rediculous but ehhh who cares!! :lol:
Old 12-02-2001, 07:31 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Chris is it the fan clutch???? Call me or shoot me an email.... I still have my old fan with a good clutch on it.... come on up here next weekend and well put it on!!

ohhhh btw.... new emial is invisovette@home.com

Mike
Old 12-03-2001, 03:51 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: bad fan clutch?? (Mike69)

hey mike...thanks for the offer....i havent gotten the chance to check it since i was going crazy all day today. If it is shot, and i can get the belts to stop squelling ill take ride out there....let me know how much you want for it??
ill give ya call or an email sometime in the week....thanks!!
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To bad fan clutch??

Quick Reply: bad fan clutch??