C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 04:39 PM
75SHARK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets?

Hello,

Have you guys had good luck with these carburetors? Are you able to just bolt them up and drive or do they need to be tuned? The reason I ask is that I don't know much about tuning a quadrajet. By the way, who is Lars, what does he do to your carbeurator and what does he charge.? I hate to spend $410 for a carburetor but my car has an incorrect Holley and intake that I really don't like. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Robby

'75 L-82 Conv.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:01 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets? (75SHARK)

The Edelbrock Q-jets are made from Rochester tooling and are for all practical purposes the real thing, They just don't make as many variations. I think they are the best all around carb on the market. Just bolt it on and drive. Of course if you have modded you engine then it will need to be tweaked but that;s not a big deal for someone who knons Q-jets. STAY AWAY from garden variety rebuilt Q-jets....Pure JUNK.. Most are worse than the one you took off and the auto parts people will not be happy when you take five of them back. :U
Old 12-01-2001, 05:25 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets? (silvervetteman)

I bought one and am having lars rebuild my original carb. One man can never have enough carbs! :)
Old 12-01-2001, 05:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets? (micks69)

I have a 68 bigblock (L36). I bought the Edlebrock Qjet #1901 and was pretty much able to bolt it on right out of the box and go, with no adjustments. However, one of the reasons I bought it was that Partsamerica.com was running a 25% off sale and their list price was $425, so I paid about $320. I am price sensitive. I still plan on having my 68 Rochester Qjet (not correct but close enuf) rebuilt and tuned, and then we will see how they really compare. MJ
Old 12-01-2001, 06:46 PM
GARY1973
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE A EDDELBROCK 795 CFM PART #1904 WHICH WAS RECOMMENDED AND INSTALLED BY THE CHEVY DEALER ON MY NEW ZZ4 WITH HOT CAM. .

DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. THE CAR RAN FASTER WITH THE STOCK L82 WITH A HOLLY. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL QUADS IN THE PAST AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM.

EVERY THING THAT I CAN FIND OUT IS THAT THIS CARB IS FOR CHEVY / GMC TRUCKS ONLY. (THE DEALER REALLY DOESNT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.)

EDELBROCK TECH TOLD ME THAT THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT CARB. THEY RECOMENDED THE 750 CFM EDL-1901 OR THE 600CFM EDL -1406. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL, ALTHOUGH I DONT THINK A 600 CFM IS ENOUGH.

YOU MAY WANT TO CONTACT THEM @ EDELBROCK.COM AND TELL THEM YOUR APPLICATION AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.

:yesnod: :confused: :mad
Old 12-01-2001, 07:29 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets? (GARY1973)

im sporting a 9973 (a remanufactures 1903)

and it runs wonderfully!!

saved 100 bux on a brand new one..

:)
Old 12-01-2001, 08:27 PM
lou
Racer

They sell several version depending on your eng set up. So make sure you buy the right one so you can bolt it right on. They even sell a 1910 version that has every race trick you can think of done to it. It flows 850 cfm and provides fuel flow for 500 plus horsepower motors. I'm sure if you tell them the application they can send you the right version carb. l :cheers: lou
Old 12-01-2001, 11:39 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my electric choke version so far. Tooooooooo many times when someone rebuilds a Q-jet, they don't replace the float, just put a kit in it (gaskets, needle and seat). So then the Q-jet gets a bad reputation. In reality, they are very simple and as long as you set the choke and float level right a rebuild is easy.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster
Old 12-02-2001, 01:22 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets? (Phlash)

I forgot to mention, Hot Rod magazine website has an interesting article about modifications they made tuning a brand new carb. I will track it down and post a link later. MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets?

Quick Reply: Do you recommend the Edelbrock Quadrajets?