C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I make a double flared tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 04:09 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default how do I make a double flared tube?

I think I need another tool. I have a flaring tool but no "double flare spacer tool". Is that what I need?

The bending part was surprisingly easy. Then I flared an end, which looked OK superficially but I realized it's not a double flare. I would guess it would leak the way I have done it.

All this is just PRACTICE. I have a pump to carb line from ZIP that I bought a long time ago but never installed. I just copied the top piece using a piece of straight line I bought from Napa.

MJ
Old 12-01-2001, 04:21 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: how do I make a double flared tube? (MNJack)

Well, this wasn't carburetor stuff...but..in school when we double flared tubes, we first flared the end, then stuck it farther up the flaring block and re-flared. It took a few tries to get it right though.

AC
Old 12-01-2001, 04:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Double flared tubing fittings are best for a sure fire leak-proof connections, but they are only necessary when dealing with really high pressure applications. Most common flaring tools don't come with the die to create double flares, in auto applications they are used primarily used in brake lines and high presure fuel lines found on electronic fuel injection systems. You might be able to find the tool at parts stores or at Sears tool department.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:43 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a double flaring tool. Single flared ends tend to split which leads to leaks. Enough said.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:47 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Mark, you need a double flaring kit. They are identical to the single flare kits, except that they also include the double flare dies for each size tubing. The only part you're actually missing is the 3/8 die.

I can't tell you where to get one, but I can tell you where *not* to get one ;) The sets I have from Sears and Harbor Freight cannot hold the tubing tight enough to create a double flare. Single flares are no problem with either set. I eventually got the one from Harbor Freight to clamp by supplementing the clamp with a bench vise to increase the clamping force.

Actually, you can just borrow my die if that's easier for you. Let me know. I could stick it in an envelope and mail it to you, or you could take a ride to my house. I probably won't need it again for a long time.

-Joe
Old 12-01-2001, 07:13 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: how do I make a double flared tube? (Flareside)

Also-
The dies double as a height gage for the initrial set up in the vise.
And-
Don't forget the champfer on the tip before you execute the second flare.

The instructions are usually glued to the flaring tool case. You may need to practice on some scrap before you try the production line. The first half dozen I did all came out crooked.

And finally- double flares are not only safer for brake lines, they are mandatory from a legal standpoint.
If you repair someones brakes, and you single flare a line, and it leaks, you are liable for negligience damages if anyone gets hurt.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:30 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Tom454 is right. DOT requires that brake lines be double flared. If you have an accident and an investigation is done, you could be liable if they check th brakes and they are not double flared.

I recently did a whole project car I was building and it wasn't too hard once you get the knack. I bought the kit form Eastwoods only to find out it didn't support Stainless Steel tubing. Wouldn't hold it in the jaws strong enough. I bought a kit from RIGID which made the job simple, supported SS, and had the instructions on the bottom of the kit.

Take the double flare bushing/spacer and bring the tubing through the clamp the depth of the thickness of the bushing/spacer.
Turn the bushing/spacer upside down and place it in the end of the tubing.
Put the compressor (flaring tool) on and tighten it down until the end of the tubing is compressed.
Take the bushing out and then put the compressor back on and compress/flare the end of the tubing again, but without the bushing.

Besides making sure you put the fitting on and in the right direction before you flare :eek:, you're done! :yesnod:

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 6:32 PM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-01-2001, 09:19 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Hey Mark, HomeDepot.com has the RIGID flaring tool for $29.95, but it doesn't say whether or not the double flare dies are included. It looks alot better than the junk I've been using!

[Modified by Flareside, 8:20 PM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 01:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: how do I make a double flared tube? (Tom454)

And-
Don't forget the champfer on the tip before you execute the second flare.
What's that? :confused:

Thanks for all the replies. In case we have lost site of my original objective, I am building a fuel pump-to-carb fuel line per Lars' instructions. Asking this question online rather than via email because it might help some of the other ignorati (besides me) out there.

Joe, I would like to borrow your 3/8" die. MJ
Old 12-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You should be able to take the tubing into your local auto parts store/ machine shop once you know your and are ready for a flare. Many of these places have a hydraulic punch vaill that will make a perfect double flare, that meets all SAE standards.

I used to run a factory that makes these lines for around 250 different customers, so I would just go in there for a visit and use their equipment, but I suppose we don't all have that luxury. :p: I made all new stainless lines for my 81' that are exact reproductions to the ones that I took off of the car. I was able to get them flared and bent so that all XYZ dimensions were within .024". That was one of the fringe benefits of being in that business. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To how do I make a double flared tube?

Quick Reply: how do I make a double flared tube?