C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Major problem!

Old 12-01-2001, 02:11 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Major problem!

After doing a little under the hook check *pulling at cables and checking hoses* my car races when I start it. Meaning it's as if the accelerator pedal is floored. I must of touched something...

How can I fix this problem!?

I'm a young newbie at vettes..even cars for that matter.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:17 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help! Major problem! (Phoenix79)

Look for the spring that is attached to the carb.(return spring) You may have gotten something jammed in it or knocked it off. Or you just set it on the fast Idle cam Largest step. Will it kick down? or is your pedal actually on the carpet floored as you state.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:24 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

The only thing I can remember touching was that really hard to put back in place, Distributor shroud. My pedal is operating correctly, it's not floored. The only thing I can think of that might of been changed would be this cable that goes through the firewall and connects to this assembly on the drivers side of the carburetor. Sorry for my lack of terms, it's a black cable wire. It doesn't look like it's in the best of conditions. Very possible I hit it with the distributor shroud when trying to put it back in. Does this cable handle acceleration?
Old 12-01-2001, 02:30 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's your accelerator cable take the chrome housing back off and start the engine see if it's normal again and re install the housing you likly just jammed the cable in a open posistion. :)
Old 12-01-2001, 02:33 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

That cable either handles the accelerator or the kickdown. Either way, pushing it out of place or blocking it could cause your problem.
I'd pull the air cleaner and push and pull on the accelerator. Check the spring, and then follow the connections back until you find the problem.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The carb linkage should be in this (relaxed/idle) position. If not, the accelerator cable must be binding somewhere. Remove the cable from the carb and see what happens. Gas must be flowing at a high rate for that condition to occur.

Old 12-05-2001, 01:12 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing a little under the hook check *pulling at cables and checking hoses* my car races when I start it. Meaning it's as if the accelerator pedal is floored. I must of touched something...

How can I fix this problem!?

I'm a young newbie at vettes..even cars for that matter.
Phoenix79,
Did you ever solve your problem?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:01 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen to an '85 Suburban some time back - left car wash - motor wouldn't idle below 12 to 1500 RPM's (in drive!). Got home checked the linkage, the carb - under the hood for a while with no luck.

Finally found problem - when I'd put the front floor mat back in after vacuuming - I'd laid it on the gas pedal :D :D
Old 12-05-2001, 09:08 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another possibility is that the dist. cover is contacting the throttle cable. You definitely want to check the return spring which may need some tightening.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Major problem!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Major problem!