C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper door mechanism rebuild....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 12:26 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Wiper door mechanism rebuild....?

Since I have my windshield out, along with a total windshield frame restore, I decided to detail the wiper bay area. I removed everything and stripped and repainted the bay and it looks great.

Now, what to do with the wiper door mechanism. Aside from the usual grunge and caked on gunk, the mechanism is fine but I'd like to tear it down completely so I can sandblast & paint all the metal parts.

Has anyone completely disassembled the mechanism? And if so, any tips or advice would be appreciated. All the hinges are rivets not bolts so I would have to grind them off or drill them out. Zip makes a kit with all the rivets and bushings so the parts are available. The 4 bolts to the door broke off as expected. Can you believe those things are $6 each?

Mark
Old 12-01-2001, 12:41 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiper door mechanism rebuild....? (mdsmith)

I tore my wiper door and stuff all aprt. At the time I didn't realize kits were available so I ended up making the bushings and one stepped screw. It's pretty straight forward. You'll probaly wish you had smaller hands and better eyesite though. ;)

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of that windshild area resto. It sounds like you're doing it without removing the front end. Is that the case?
Sounds like an interesting project. When I painted my car I left the FE on and the windshield in. I did take the chrome off the top (coupe). It looked like the top member was starting to get bad but the pillars and lower joints looked good. Anyway, I'm thinking of changing out that upper panel. BUT if I take the windshield out and there is even a little rust I will want to replace all that metal! So details of the resto would be cool!
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2001, 01:01 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Wiper door mechanism rebuild....? (lbell101)

sounds like you're doing it without removing the front end. Is that the case?
Front end stays on. I'm only doing the frame because I cracked my windshield the other day by accident. After I settled down, I realized it was an opportunity (glass half full :) ). The lower pillars look excellent so I'm not concerned with them right now. When I paint the car, I'll have the shop cut off the rearmost corner of each fender to check them out. The worst rust is on the top bow in the center and at the corners. None of it appears to adversely effect the integrity of the frame so I've grinded off what I can and will coat the entire frame with POR-15. My car is a garaged, fair weather driver so I believe the treatment will be good for another 10-15 years.

I'm taking some pics today...I'll post when I can.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper door mechanism rebuild....?

Quick Reply: Wiper door mechanism rebuild....?