[Z06] Thanks Guys- Perfect Homemade Air Intake

Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks Guys- Perfect Homemade Air Intake

First off- the parts list:

From Amazon.com:
KN RP-5135 Air Filter about $96 ( this is a big carbon fiber bodied universal filter)

From Auto Parts Store:
One KN #62-1070 Filter for Air Pump Hose about $23

From Siliconeintakes.com
1 x T-Bolt Clamp for 3.75" Silicone Parts (CLA000109) = $2.60
1 x Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.75" - Black (SIL000541) = $12.99 ( to connect MAF to the KN Air Filter at stock location)

So all in all- with shipping let's say about $140 to $150

Easy installation and unbelievably nice looking installation. My basis of comparison was a $400 CAI that I tried but returned. In fact, this set-up fits under the hood easier and with more clearance than the expensive vendor sold model I tried.

Initial impressions SOP is snappier response and more power - certainly on par with the $400 system that I tried.

Thanks to the people who posted on this set-up! The KN-5135 filter looks right at home and the installation looks every bit as professional as the expensive tuner models.

Honestly - if you had money to burn, why would you with a solution like this?

Be sure to do your own research like I did before you purchase the parts or attempt the installation - YMMV.

Last edited by NatB; 01-28-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Covert 405
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NatB
First off- the parts list:

From Amazon.com:
KN RP-5135 Air Filter about $96 ( this is a big carbon fiber bodied universal filter)

From Auto Parts Store:
One KN #62-1070 Filter for Air Pump Hose about $23

From Siliconeintakes.com
1 x T-Bolt Clamp for 3.75" Silicone Parts (CLA000109) = $2.60
1 x Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.75" - Black (SIL000541) = $12.99 ( to connect MAF to the KN Air Filter at stock location)

So all in all- with shipping let's say about $140 to $150

Easy installation and unbelievably nice looking installation. My basis of comparison was a $400 CAI that I tried but returned. In fact, this set-up fits under the hood easier and with more clearance than the expensive vendor sold model I tried.

Initial impressions SOP is snappier response and more power - certainly on par with the $400 system that I tried.

Thanks to the people who posted on this set-up! The KN-5135 filter looks right at home and the installation looks every bit as professional as the expensive tuner models.

Honestly - if you had money to burn, why would you with a solution like this?

Be sure to do your own research like I did before you purchase the parts or attempt the installation - YMMV.
Got and pictures of this?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

I haven't taken any photos yet- however, someone else already posted some. I only followed their parts recipe.

Kinda like a Blackwing set-up in that it uses the oem air bridge . As aftermarket air filters go- the KN seems good quality.

The only thing I may have done differently was to use the small KN breather filter for the air pump hose- instead of tapping into the air filter like the oem set-up.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by NatB
IThe only thing I may have done differently was to use the small KN breather filter for the air pump hose- instead of tapping into the air filter like the oem set-up.
Wouldn't you allow unmetered air into the system by doing this, thus causing a lean condition??
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Wouldn't you allow unmetered air into the system by doing this, thus causing a lean condition??
It's no metered air he's referring to. It's the filtered air being fed into the cats at start-up.

Originally Posted by Covert 405
Got and pictures of this?
Here are links to other threads about this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1855429

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1913472
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

BTW- the 4" to 3.5" silicone hose reducer fits perfect. The 3.5" onto the forward portion of the MAF and the 4" into the KN 5135 filter. Nice snug fit.

For the air pump hose the .75" breather filter by KN fit the smaller hose perfectly as well.

Driving today- I feel stronger acceleration and am register better MPG as well. Placebo effect - perhaps. Will measure over time.

I will however state again - before you go out and drop $300 to $400 on a intake consider putting together your own for $125 to $150. Mine looks every bit as good aesthetically as the expensive brand that I installed but returned a few months back. Further- I challenge that any real horsepower gain is in line with the "engineered" systems.

Suffice to say- I am pleased with this DIY project.

YMMV
Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

A big savings is in your use of the oem airbridge which is said to be more than sufficient to support the power of an LSx motor unless you make significant engine modifications. You can easily dress up the oem airbridge with stainless T-bolt clamps (or Constant-Torque clamps), emblem decals or paint.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Good ideas! For me- the stock air bridge is fine the way it is though.

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
A big savings is in your use of the oem airbridge which is said to be more than sufficient to support the power of an LSx motor unless you make significant engine modifications. You can easily dress up the oem airbridge with stainless T-bolt clamps (or Constant-Torque clamps), emblem decals or paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks Guys- Perfect Homemade Air Intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Thanks Guys- Perfect Homemade Air Intake