C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 09:52 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap!

Well, I'm in the proccess of installing my new 64cc heads. Everything's going good, tapping the holes in the deck to make sure they're clean, got to number ten on the first side and the tap won't go. Check the hole with a bolt, no problem. Check the bolt against the tap, &^$#!, wrong thread profile! Grabbed the 7/16-20 instead of the 7/16-14. So, I go ahead and run the 14 down the holes I screwed up and it doesn't seem like too much damage. Install the gasket and head, seal the threads and run the bolts in, 30ft.lb. no problems, 50ft.lbs-problem! Holes are stripped. Now what? I called the machine shop and he suggests(knowing I'm allready broke)that I buy a heli-coil repair kit. So I do and things are once again going pretty smooth, CLICK!, tap breaks! Luckily It came out easy and I was able to get a replacement and finish up. A couple of the holes were pretty tight when I reinstalled the head, don't know if I got an accurate torque reading on them. Guess I'll find out when I get the rest of it together and start it up. It has been an emotional 24hrs.

[Modified by ORVette, 5:54 PM 11/30/2001]
Old 11-30-2001, 11:21 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap! (ORVette)

OUCH!
Remember to take it slow and plan your work. Don't get in a rush to finish it just because you had a set back.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:32 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap! (1979toy)

All I can say is this:

"CRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP !!!!"

Get notified of new replies

To New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap!

Quick Reply: New Tip Of The Day!.......Use the right size thread tap!