C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye George Harrison.... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 07:48 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Goodbye George Harrison.... :-(

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

(I know this is not the right place to post this, but this is where I hang out, so... )

I heard the news and came back home, saddened... Listening to Abbey Road now...

The world loses a fabulous musician (and a lover of F1 and other auto racing sports too!).

We'll miss ya...

:sad:

-Pedro
Old 11-30-2001, 08:10 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (Pedro'74)

I made a similar post in open topic. I love the Beatles story from 1959 through 1964. It gives hope to every band playing in their fathers' garage. After 1964 the Beatles made great music, but their life story was just another story of the rich and famous.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:22 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (virtue4u)

:(
Old 11-30-2001, 08:23 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (Vetteboy)

:cry

MTV2 is doing a dedication to him right now, playing all his old songs, as well as some beatle songs...if you get the channel, check it out...

He will surely be missed

Daniel
Old 11-30-2001, 08:35 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (daniel77350)

He's my favorite Beatle :(
Old 11-30-2001, 08:38 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (daniel77350)

I was saddened to hear this also. I knew he was not long for this world, but it still was a shock to hear it this morning. It's really a tribute to his legacy when three local stations played his songs (Beatles and solo) throughout the day......almost 40 (yes 40!) years after the Beatles debut. One local station even had an A-Z Beatles/George Harrison solo day :cool: . A very humble guy who never craved the spotlight. Rest in Peace, George. :)

AC
Old 11-30-2001, 09:08 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

It is sad. The 60's icons are starting to die off. Ken Kesey a couple of weeks ago, and now George.
A coworker comes in and tells us this morning that George Harrison has died, and the guy in the office across from me (25 years old, tongue stud, etc.), very seriously says "Huh, who's that?" Amazing.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:21 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

he will be missed :(

i dont like many beatles songs but the few i like were written by him (wasnt i wanna hold your hand written by George, or was it ringo?)

ZD :cry
Old 11-30-2001, 10:00 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (ZD75blue)

Zack,

I think I want to hold your hand was written by Paul and John. IMO the finest examples of George's songwriting are While my guitar gently weeps, Here comes the sun and, my favorite, Something (according to Frank Sinatra, the greatest love song ever written):

Something in the way she knows
And all I have to do is think of her
Something in the things she shows me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how
-Pedro :sad:

[Modified by Pedro'74, 9:01 PM 11/30/2001]
Old 11-30-2001, 10:31 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

He was the best!!! :sad:
Old 12-01-2001, 12:12 AM
Maxd_out
Instructor

I can vividly remember seeing the Beatles first performance on the Ed Sullivan show. It was something that changed my life. At that point I realized I wanted to become a musician. Their music had such a profound influence on our society.

I can still remember what I was doing when I heard Lennon was shot. The same will hold true for Harrison, although it wasn't as much of a shock since he was ill for so long.

Rest in peace George. See ya in a few. :cry
Old 12-01-2001, 12:15 AM
strat68
Instructor

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (My69)

George Harrison gave us all a great gift. He gave us the gift of music which translates into a gift of life.

His music will live forever, and so will his spirit.

Music helps shape culture, and culture helps to shape music. It's a hand in hand relationship and musical greats such as George and the Beatles have made the world a better place to live.

Today many of us mourn the loss of a great man, but I believe that George would want us all to be as positive as the words that he shared with the world that came straight from his heart and soul.

We all love you George, and my friends and I in Tallahassee will toast one for you tonight. :cheers:

For tonight George and John are making great music together once again.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:36 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (strat68)

Thanks for the posts and stories, guys. Keep'em coming....

Just turned on the radio, and it seems that my favorite radio stations have been playing only Beatles and George Harrison's songs during the whole day. And this is more than 30 years after the end of the band. This really says something, doesn't it? There's never been, and I doubt there'll ever be, a musical phenomenon such as The Beatles!

I was a musician (bass player) during some time of my life (before I started studying math), but it took me some time to really understand their music. I was a snobby jazz lover who thought that they just made silly songs for teenagers. One day the guitar player who used to play with me, a guy with more brains than me, brought a videotape, a Beatles documentary (The Beatles Complete?), to watch with other friends, at my home. When they were watching the tape I was more concerned with the popcorn and with making stupid jokes. But then he forgot the tape at my home, and I decided to see it. First time I saw it I thought, "Hey, these guys are good". Then I saw it one more time, and thought, "Wow, these guys are great!". Third time I saw it I thought, "WOW, these guys are THE BEST!". :)

[Modified by Pedro'74, 1:48 AM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-01-2001, 01:10 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

In November of 1971 I was in advanced training at Ft. Lee Virginia. The guy that had the bunk under me bought a portable stereo in the PX. He asked me what I thought the best album I'd ever heard was. I told him that I had a lot of favorites, but of late I though "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison was as good as there was. He bought it and would lay on his bunk with the two speakers on either side of his head and listen to it over and over again.
He told me that my advice to buy it was the best music advice he'd ever got from anyone.
My wife and I were both big Beatles fans, our kids grew up listening to their music, and both of them (now adults) love the music.
In my humble opinion, All Things Must Pass, as an album, was the greatest individual effort by any of the Beatles.
I'll miss him, but his music will live long after his passing. I think he was a truly spiritually balanced human being, who knew that he like everything else would pass.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:27 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (Smokehouse69)

I never knew who George Harrison was till his solo song "I got my mind set on you" hit the charts. I was about 10 years old, I like that song, and the video shows George's humerous side. God Bless George. :blueangel:
Old 12-01-2001, 01:52 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-( (Smokehouse69)

Steve,

I agree, All Things Must Pass is a fantastic album! (I'm listening to Isn't it a Pity on the radio, as I type... :) )

Old 12-01-2001, 08:39 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Been playing the gee-tar since I was 12... 38 years. The majority of the stuff I play is Beatles. Had a band 1965-1968: "The Knights Of Daze" (har har). As the "lead guitarist", it was my job to learn all of the new stuff and teach it to the rythm & base players. Hours & hours & hours listening to the Beatles... learning their riffs. They are still a big part of my existence- gonna miss the dude.

My grandfather was a "One Man Band", my dad & uncle played Country Western and cut their own records on vinyl. Both of my brothers play guitar. I just taught my brother how to play "She's Got The Devil In Her Heart" over the Thanksgiving holiday. Visited my dying uncle in Syracuse- he asked me to play some Beatles tunes for him because he can no longer play a chord. The morphine patch he has messes up his coordination. Without the Beatles as an inspiration to learn, I would not have been in a position to do that for him.

Amazing phenomena. The Beatles.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye George Harrison.... :-(

Old 12-01-2001, 09:31 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel privileged to have seen the Beatles phenomenon first-hand. IMHO, NO ONE has come close to them since. George Harrison was a great musician and a good, spiritual person. He'll be sorely missed.
:yesnod:
Old 12-01-2001, 09:49 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

George was a humble man, regardless of his stature as one of the rich and famous persons. He was a religious, a careing man. He left an imprint on all of us, with his music and his work to help the needy.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:27 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the posts and stories, guys. Keep'em coming....

Yes, it was on the news Fri. morning.

The Beatles made some great music, one of few bands able to do an album w/ all good songs. Eric Claption is said to have played on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

I would have liked to play guitar however I don't think I have what it takes- evidently a near magical finger dexterity, thin fingers & practice. I have a guitar- it looks good hanging on the wall.

Quick Reply: Goodbye George Harrison.... :-(