C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tall block distributor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 03:27 PM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default tall block distributor

We're putting a 496 tall block in a '73 Vette and I understand we will need a different distributor because the block is .400 taller. Are there parts to modify a regular factory distributor from a 454 block (car block) for this use (like longer distributor shaft and/or different housing)? If so where can one get such parts? Also, we need the alternator pulley, bracket and braces (for P.S. car) if anyone has them.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2001, 03:40 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: tall block distributor (y2kvett)

Are you talking "tall block", like a truck block, say like the 427 engines that were placed in trucks and buses? If so, what makes these engines taller is an extra oil ring on the pistons. Since the block is now a tad higher, the intake manifold valley is a tad wider as well. I have never seen any aftermarket parts for 427 truck motors, a regular passenger car intake manifold will not work. They may make parts out there, but Ive never seen them

Thats not saying the 427 "tall blocks" dont make for the potential for a hipo engine. Its that Ive just never seen aftermarket parts for them. A stock passenger distributor shouldnt work. Aftermarket: Dont know if they are even made.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:02 PM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: tall block distributor (MELVIN)

Yes, these were truck motors. They are used quite often for "stroker" motors. I believe the 502 motor is the same height (don't quote me on this). Anyhow, the intake is different, but there are spacers available to use regular intakes. And special cranks are made as well. We now have the motor (496 cubes) and need to get a distributor. Maybe, we'll just hit the bone yards.
Thanks,
Old 11-30-2001, 04:12 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that only the deck height for the heads was .400" taller, not where the distributor meets the manifold. Also on a 90 degree V-8, I don't think that an additional .400" deck height would mean that the distributor would sit that much taller.

I may be wrong, YMMV.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Garys '68
Racer

You can buy tall deck high perf. distributors from Summit or Jegs. I have never seen any way to modify a short deck distributor. I have also never seen a tall deck distributor with a mechanical tach drive if that's an issue.
If you are looking for high perf. tall deck parts check out offshore boating web sites. There are a LOT of tall decks used in the high perf boating industry. Mercruiser even makes 540 and 572 cid stock motors.
Let me know if there are any other tall deck specific parts you need, and I can check my sources.
Gary
Old 11-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Garys '68
Racer

BTW the 502 is a short deck siamesed block with just a larger bore than a 454, same stroke, same block height.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To tall block distributor

Quick Reply: tall block distributor