C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?"

Old 11-30-2001, 08:59 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?"

I have finally made it to the point of being able to install my new Hooker Side Exhaust headers on my 69 big block. 2 nights ago I installed the passenger side with no problems at all. Last night I installed the drivers side and I noticed that it was fighting me as I started to tighten the header bolts.
After looking closer the #3 cylinder exhaust tube which is the tube that is on the inside of the collector on the top closest to the body touches the steering box a little but my big problem is that it is hitting the drivers side front lower fender. On the Passenger side I have about 3/8 inch of clearance between this exhaust tube and the fender. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON????
If I tighten the header bolts down the header makes contact with the fender.
Any help or suggestions would be a life saver!!!!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 11-30-2001, 09:23 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 848 Likes on 622 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?" (James)

This exact same thing happened to me. I had to dimple about 2 tubes on each side of the car. You need to trim the glass under there but in my case I trimmed all I could until some metal surrounding one of the bolts was still hitting. Haven't resolved it yet but might have to dimple the tube there too. I know I didn't offer much help but here to let you know you are not alone. I am just driving mine till the end of the season then I will fix it.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:28 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?" (69ttop502)

The problem that I seem to have is that the #3 exhaust tube actually is touching the lower outside of the drivers front fender. I have clearance where the fender has holes for the rocker panel to go into but I can't believe that it should touch the side of the fender on the bottom.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:35 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?" (James)

ON A PREVIUOS POST REGARDING A MAN THAT WAS CONSIDERING BUYING A SET FOR HIS BB, I SAID THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. ON MY 68/427, CONTACT WITH THE VERY FRONT PORTION OF THE LOWER ROCKER MOULDING WAS COMMON. JUST ENOUGH TO SCREW UP A VERY EXPENSIVE PEICE OF MOULDING. WHILE REPAIRING THE MOULDING DOWN THE ROAD (IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO USE THEM LIKE ME), IS FAIRLY EASY (ALITTLE FIBERGLASS REPAIR, AND STRAIGHTENING OUT OF THE METAL PORTION). ITS TOO BAD THIS DESIGN FLAW WASNT CAUGHT. SB'S DONT HAVE THIS PROB

I DIDNT TRY THIS, BUT AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT, TRY DOUBLING YOUR HEADER GASKETS. IT MAY CREATE JUST THE CLEARENCE YOU REQUIRE AT THE FENDE WELL, NOT SURE, BUT IT JUST MIGHT
Old 11-30-2001, 05:45 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?" (MELVIN)

This is the reply I got back from the Tech Support guys at Hooker on what they say to do:
Run a thinner motor mount and that should give you the clearence you need.
Yes I do mean thinner, now we do have a 1969 model car and over time this
might not be exactly perfect, many feel their cars are prefect when from
the torque of the motor of the years it has tweaked the body just enough to
casue some problems, this does not mean the car is bad so do not take it
that way but a 31 year old car can not be that straight. this is not a
problem if we went to a shorter mount and lowered the one side and the
clearence would be made or we will have to return them to the place of
purchase.
What do you guys think about that for an answer from a company?
:mad
Old 11-30-2001, 07:26 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Hooker may need to re-align their jugs! This was the sam cas for my car too. I do have clearance between the #3 and the steering box, enough that I can just barely slide a business card between them! My biggest problem was the pipes hitting the frame on the drivers side preventing me from tightening the bolts. I had to squash the pipe (I don't remember which one and I don't have time to go look) about 3/4 of an inch. I used my 20 ton Harbor Freight hydraulic floor press. Take a length of 2x4 and cut ~2.5inch holes seperated or spaced the same as the pipes, then cut in half. Place side by side on the underside of pipes to spread out the force of flattening from the top side. I used shop towels or rubber tool droor liner to keep from scratching the Jet hot coated pipes. Doing this I avoided kinking the pipe and reducing the crossflow area by any significant amount. The pipe shouldn't touch the frame or the steering box as much for heat reasons as any others. If close, wrap with header insulation.

Chuck
Old 12-02-2001, 12:15 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?" (Chuck Harmon)

Looks like I'm off to talk to my motor guy and see what he thinks.
Why can't things ever work right out of the box.
I'm bummed.
:( :(

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Block Guys Running Hooker Sides "What The Heck Is My Problem?"