C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 02:17 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available

Yeah, last not least I found a name for my car - phoenix-
Itīs a good name for hear because sheīll be brandnew after the rebuild.

As you all probably know I was sandblasting my car some month ago in my 2 car garage.. It worked fine, even on some fiberglass panels, but I couldnīt remove the rust in the main profiles of the windshield frame...

Now I got the chance to.......

SANDBLAST IT MYSELF IN A COMPANY JUST ONE MILE AWAY FROM MY HOME.

Man I tell you, you canīt imagine the difference between a home system and a factory blasting cabine. We had to reduce the pressure to 2 1/2 bar, otherwise I would have cut the vette into pieces.
I used it only on the metal parts (where the rust couldnīt be removed the first time).
Funny fact is that the guy in the blasting centre is the cousin or something like that of a colleque who workes in my company. I blasted for appr. one hour and all he said after this was......
Go and buy me a cup of coffee!!!!!
Of course I didnīt do that and paid him, but it was a great deal.
From now on I can use his cabine whenever I want. The guy is now on my "ride list", means heīll be one of the first whoīll be passengers in my vette when finished.

Here are the pics.....

I was very lucky to get access to this truck too....

and up she goes.....

The body fit perfect into the truck, everything worked out as planned

In the sandblasting cabine already

I used tape to prevent damage to the fiberglass - here you can see the little rust areas which couldnīt be removed the first time im my home garage

Yes, thatīs me, it was really exciting

I had someome to help me with all the cables/lines

I havnīt taken a picture after blasting yet, but phoenix looks really grat now.
I recommend a good blasting shop to everybody.....
:cheers:
Markus

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 12:31 AM 11/30/2001]
Old 11-30-2001, 07:39 AM
72LT1Steve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (MARKUS_P)

Markus_P; Have you SEEN THE PRICE for Starbuck's lately!!! A Venti Mocha sets you back. You most likely saved money by paying him outright, rather than buying him a caffeine warlord liquid refreshment :jester :jester :jester

Ok, seriously. Car is looking like it's comin along. What's the hoped for completion date??? :flag

Ok....just noticed your in Vienna Austria. Not sure if Starbuck's has invaded that part of the world yet!! :eek: :eek: But if not there now; look for them to be there at some time innocently pushing there refreshments. I think they have a disclaimer (much like the tobacco companies did) that there not addicting! Word from someone who didn't see the light until it was to late: :bs :bs :bs :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by 72LT1Steve, 3:44 AM 11/30/2001]
Old 11-30-2001, 08:11 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (72LT1Steve)

Hope to get her completed in summer next year.
Chassis, engine and tranny are already restored.
Electrical wireing will be the next step after painting.... :U :U :U
I seriously hope that I donīt burn down my restored vette, because my electrical knowledge is ..... aaahhhhm let me say, thereīs AC and DC right?? :D
OK, itīs not really as bad, but I will defenitely need help, much help.
Nevertheless, with help of the forum Iīll get this thing done too.

PS: Iīve heared about this coffee company lately in a sketch.....
But they are not here already. I really do like coffee :yesnod:
Old 11-30-2001, 02:55 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (MARKUS_P)

Itīs a good name for hear because sheīll be brandnew after the rebuild.

Here I was thinking that I was being attacked and didn't know it :D :D :D :cheers:

Looking good.

I changed my name from redbarron76 after my 76 got totalled by a hit and run driver. I kept a few parts which are going to be added to my "new" 73.

Old 11-30-2001, 08:22 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Markus that is a killer setup you've got there ! I've been thinking that when I'm ready to get my vette painted I'll take it to have it blasted. I think they get about $800 here for it. It looks like you did a great job at home :yesnod: . Can't wait to see the finished product. :)
Old 11-30-2001, 08:51 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (SmokedTires)

MARKUS_P that is a real nice set up you have got there for moving the vette. Did you build the foot print of the dolly so that you would be able to use the power tail gate on the truck or did it just work out that way. I assume you just strapped it into the truck to keep it from moving during transporting. I have a 18 foot trailer that I can winch my dolly with the vette on it up into the trailer, never had to do it yet. I will if I get it painted at another shop.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:16 AM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting project ... I like the idea of sb down to the bone and really like the cradle your using .. nice job . :cool:
Old 12-02-2001, 10:58 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done, Markus!

It will definitely be an outstanding car!

Please do me a favour and make some shots of the bare metal from the underside of the body!
I will take apart my car soon and just want to get more ideas of the bodyīs steel parts under the fiberglass!

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-03-2001, 01:38 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (phoenix)

Itīs a good name for her because sheīll be brandnew after the rebuild.

Here I was thinking that I was being attacked and didn't know it :D :D :D :cheers:

Looking good.

I changed my name from redbarron76 after my 76 got totalled by a hit and run driver. I kept a few parts which are going to be added to my "new" 73.
Sorry! But shouldnīt be more cars like phoenix on the road? ;)

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 11:57 PM 12/2/2001]
Old 12-03-2001, 01:50 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (paso)

MARKUS_P that is a real nice set up you have got there for moving the vette. Did you build the foot print of the dolly so that you would be able to use the power tail gate on the truck or did it just work out that way. I assume you just strapped it into the truck to keep it from moving during transporting. I have a 18 foot trailer that I can winch my dolly with the vette on it up into the trailer, never had to do it yet. I will if I get it painted at another shop.
I was just lucky.... Didnīt know that I could use this truck for transportation.
One day before sanding they said I could borrow it.
Well, it worked out perfect....
but there is always a need of luck, isnīt it?
The plan was to use a trailer, but the truck is even better, no windforces on the body and I didnīt have to worry about bad weather. (rain)
Itīs not a good idea to fill up your body with water right after sandblasting.
You will never get the sand out of all the nooks and crannies if it clumps together.

No, I didnīt have to secure the dolly to keep it from moving.....
Hitting the brakes on the rollers was enough.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:56 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available (454Big)

Thanks for the comliments, Smoked Tires and Purplerainz......

You should go for mediablasting the body, and sandblasting the metal parts of your car.
Because mediablasting isnīt available here in Austria I had to do it the hard way - sanding and sandblasting in my garage......

Frank, Iīll send you some pics per email - just remember, the whole steelsection has been exchanged and custom welded.
-Markus

Get notified of new replies

To Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available

Quick Reply: Mars attacks take two - Phoenix gets sandblasted the second time, pics available