C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

theft deterrent- an elaboration

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 12:40 AM
couldbefun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theft deterrent- an elaboration

okay. this is for all the questions from my last post about the coil-switch theft deterrent. for those of you who have already read it, and have a specific question, skip the next paragraph and i will list some modifications and some better ideas that came from other forum members.. the rest who are interested, hers how it works.
First, find the wires leading to your coil. now splice a long wire onto one of the wires(That led to the coil) and route it into the cab of the vette. now, buy a switch from the local electronics store. wire in the switch in a hedden area, ie under the dash. now run the wire back to the coil. you should now have a system that has a wire running to the switch(The one that originally went to the coil) and a wire running from the switch to the coil again(Where the first wire originally was) now, when you flip the switch, it disconnects the coil and the car will not start unless the thief knows about the switch, or is a very good thief. plus, the starter will be heard, trying to turn over the car, but it will not start(Sorta like being out of gas) so, this is good because now the starter is heard, and that throws suspicion off the battery/electrical system.

Good now for the questions and mods.(most suggested by other members.)
1. put an inline fuse. a must to prevent shorts and fires.

2. yes, this switch can be left engaged for normal operation of the vehicle untill you feel the need disengage it for security.

3. another place to put this is under the carpet as in a dimmer switch(The kind you kick to turn dimmer on and off) this way, the switch is not seen and can easily bea activated or disactivated with no suspicion

4. finally, my own addition that i was not originally going to disclose. this is only for the very paranoid, and the non smokers. get into your center console. open up the compartment that has your ciggarette lighter and ashtray in it. now, push firmly against the side of the ashtray and lift up. the ashtray should come out, and you should be able to stick your fingers partially into the new hole. if you feel back- towards the end of the car- in this hole, you will find a metal beam that is part of the chassis. hook your switch up their, with the toggle lever pointed towards the front of the car, not straight up. you now have a lever that is accessible from the hole that is completely concealed. noone will ever look there, and you can put your ashtray back and it will look perfectly innocent. i have 2 friends that i have told this to, and they both did this to their car, with no side- effects. it really is a great hiding place for the system. enjoy, and sleep assured
:sleep: :chevy

Quick Reply: theft deterrent- an elaboration