Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS

I was at the Detroit Auto-show for the NCM unveiling and took a few pics.

Front Viper Brake........

Front ZR-1 Brake........

Rear Viper Brake.........

Rear ZR-1 Brake...........

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whooo Hoooooo!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not the size of your brakes, but how you use them.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:06 PM
NKRZ06
Instructor

Location: Moncton, NB Canada.This Z06 is my very first Vette!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
It's not the size of your brakes, but how you use them.
That's what my wife says....:
Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NKRZ06
That's what my wife says....:

They are impressive to look at though.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
m3brad
Racer

Nice PICS Mike! I really like the fact that the ZR-1 wheels appear to be polished, as opposed to chrome . . .
Old 01-20-2008, 02:33 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I was at the Detroit Auto-show for the NCM unveiling and took a few pics.

Front Viper Brake........

Mike
Are you sure that's not the REAR brake
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

yeah but on the other hand i feel sorry when you need new pads on zr-1.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChargedC6
yeah but on the other hand i feel sorry when you need new pads on zr-1.
you gotta pay to play
Old 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Even the GTR has 15" all the way around. Why would they (Dodge) do such a thing? Maybe an upgrade option from the factory.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
Even the GTR has 15" all the way around. Why would they (Dodge) do such a thing? Maybe an upgrade option from the factory.
just because they are huge brakes dosnt mean it stops as well. if you read the tech write ups on the braking for the acr viper it stakes it has less then a 100ft stopping distance from 60. thats pretty F'n good if you ask me. actually thats VERY good.

to me it looks like another whos is bigger arguement. seems to me there are alot of insecure vette fans out there that are trying to find every little thing possible to bash the viper.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just because they are huge brakes dosnt mean it stops as well. if you read the tech write ups on the braking for the acr viper it stakes it has less then a 100ft stopping distance from 60. thats pretty F'n good if you ask me. actually thats VERY good.

to me it looks like another whos is bigger arguement. seems to me there are alot of insecure vette fans out there that are trying to find every little thing possible to bash the viper.
Sounds about right - BTW isnt the stopping power more a function of the tyre than the brake rotor at these levels any way?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Sounds about right - BTW isnt the stopping power more a function of the tyre than the brake rotor at these levels any way?

Yes, it is a function of tire, BUT repeated use of the brakes will reduce the capability of brakes as heat takes over. I don't doubt that the Viper brakes will stop it fast, but after repeated abuse on a high speed track, which brake do you think will continue to perform. My bet is on the ZR1 carbon ceramics. And the car with brakes that can give consistent performance and feel(confidence) will be the one that will turn faster track times as the race goes on.

The OP made a statement based on his knowledge and experience. If you were to ask him the weak point in the C6Z (with regards to track duty), I'm certain he would point to the brakes. This is not a case who is bigger, just a function of physics. But it may be a case of who is lighter

Tom

Last edited by Z Fast; 01-20-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z Fast
Yes, it is a function of tire, BUT repeated use of the brakes will reduce the capability of brakes as heat takes over. I don't doubt that the Viper brakes will stop it fast, but after repeated abuse on a high speed track, which brake do you think will continue to perform. My bet is on the ZR1 carbon ceramics. And the car with brakes that can give consistent performance and feel(confidence) will be the one that will turn faster track times as the race goes on.
The OP made a statement based on his knowledge and experience. If you were to ask him the weak point in the C6Z (with regards to track duty), I'm certain he would point to the brakes. This is not a case who is bigger, just a function of physics. But it may be a case of who is lighter

Tom
I agree with the statement but again also do you honestly think that dodge would release the ACR (American club RACER) viper which is designed for track use with a set of brakes that wouldnt be able to safely handle the car over long repeated track days?

and plus i bet the owners of the ACR will see alot more track time then the Zr1 owners will because most of the vettes will be bought and thrown in a garage and used as grandmasters in disney parades.

all in all i think it is safe to say no matter what every time a new model of these cars is released there is always going to be people bashing both because this is bigger or these seats look and feel nicer. these cars are different in many ways and each has its ups and downs and is designed and sold for different people. I just hate the fact that (sorry to ramble) from what i have seen the vette owners/fans take any little thing they can to bash the Viper. But i guess in a world with freedom of speach there is nothing that can be done about this.!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with the statement but again also do you honestly think that dodge would release the ACR (American club RACER) viper which is designed for track use with a set of brakes that wouldnt be able to safely handle the car over long repeated track days?

and plus i bet the owners of the ACR will see alot more track time then the Zr1 owners will because most of the vettes will be bought and thrown in a garage and used as grandmasters in disney parades.

all in all i think it is safe to say no matter what every time a new model of these cars is released there is always going to be people bashing both because this is bigger or these seats look and feel nicer. these cars are different in many ways and each has its ups and downs and is designed and sold for different people. I just hate the fact that (sorry to ramble) from what i have seen the vette owners/fans take any little thing they can to bash the Viper. But i guess in a world with freedom of speach there is nothing that can be done about this.!
You are right, many will have an opinion without the knowledge or information to back it up, and only to say mine is better because, well, I own one, so it must be so.

If you knew Mike(Short-Throw), you would know that he is not like that. He has nothing but respect for all ultra performance cars. But he is passionate about brakes and stopping.

Tom
Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

A lot of cars will stop from 60 within a 100 feet. The C5 Z51 and Z06 managed that. It's repeated high speed stops, minimal brake fade, and pedal modulation that's the important part. I don't doubt that the ACR's brakes will survive on the track. The ZR1's brakes are just on another level above.

If you think this is bashing you should check out the Viper boards, it really sounds like there are some clueless (maybe denial?) people over there when it comes to the Z06 and ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS

Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I mean both "camps" do it - no different than FSU v. Florida, Chevy v. Ford, Missionary v. Doggy, *ahem*, etc.

Each manufacturer keeps leaping ahead - you've got out of sync development cycles so there's constantly going to be someone with bigger/better.

Maybe the ZR1 *does* have better brakes. Period. No footnote about "in this special usage case this, or cost/demographic that". Can't we have a little fun and competition without being labeled insecure? (I know I'm not).

I think it's all in fun and breeds healthy competition that improves BOTH products!

DT
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Holy Moly Batman!!!!!! Zr1> ugly *** ricer viper...

Thanks for sharing man
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Not to get into a pissing match and I am not much on bench racing but I think the Viper will own the ZR1 on the track mostly due to it being naturally aspired.

Now on the street I think the ZR1 will rule all the way.

Personally I would be happy to have either one.

Stanklr, it is only rice if it is not functional. The ACR is intended for the track and the wing which I agree looks kinda ricey on a street car is fully functional on the track. I am sure there will be a few posers that buy it for street use only but Dodge is looking after the people that actually track their cars. Anybody wanting to track their Z06 are buying new brakes. And not to mention I could say the same thing about the ground effects on the ZR1 but then like I said it too is functional.

Time will tell.

Last edited by agentf1; 01-20-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Here's 1 big reason of many why the ZR-1 will punish the Viper ACR on the track. PICS