C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side exhaust interchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 06:17 PM
ksphar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default side exhaust interchange

Does anyone know if the pipes from a 67 style side exhaust will fit a 68. I am talking about big block pipes if that matters. Also,if the 67 pipes fit , will they fit under 69 style covers. I was under the impression that the 67 and 68 frames were near identical, therefore i thought the pipes might swap even though they are different styles of pipes, the 67 looks like a chambered exhaust style pipe.

[Modified by ksphar, 4:18 PM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 08:24 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: side exhaust interchange (ksphar)

The chassis is virtually unchanged from C2 to C3 so mounting them should be no problem.

I've heard of this subject before, maybe do a search in the archives and it'll probably help you better.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:31 PM
ksphar
Instructor

Default Re: side exhaust interchange (MikeC)

I tried a search but nothing came up. I just wondered if anyone has tried this or knew if it is possible.

[Modified by ksphar, 6:31 PM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Ksphar. From what i understand, don't see why this won't work. The only difference will be the "rectangular" tip thats found on the 69 style factory covers. 63 to 67 were "round". JCL :cool: :cool: :chevy
Old 11-30-2001, 01:11 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: side exhaust interchange (JCL)

In old car mags from the 70s I have seen pictures of the 67 pipes on a 69-70 style car, motion I think did one. :cool: :cool:
Old 11-30-2001, 09:04 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: side exhaust interchange (LT1driver)

The C2 pipe will fit under the C3 cover, the only problem you may find is where the tip extends. Being the C3 pipes are an over and under configuration and the tip is rectangular, it may be just a bit longer then the single chambered C2 pipe. As far as the mounts are concerned they should slide right into the keyway on the frame rail. The same platform has been used on the C3 from 1963 to 1977 I think it was, with minor chassis changes starting in 1978.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.
Thanks,
JoeB
Old 11-30-2001, 04:44 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

I put 67 small block side pipes on my 73 underneath the fiberglass repo covers. I have written an extensive amount of info in past postings, but the bottom line is that they work for small blocks and I would suspect would work for a big block car. I first mounted the glass side pipe covers, then shortened the side pipes by cutting off the exhaust tip and located the turn out to a position where I wanted it ( which I centered the eliptical exhaust opening in the center of the side pipe cover. Then I marked where the chambered exhaust pipe had to be cut. I cut the pipe and welded the tip back on. The oringal key hole mounting slot was even cut out in my 73 frame, so I got carraige bolts and used old shock mount rubbers to mount the pipe to the car. The original side pipe mounting tab that is welded on at the factory was about 2" in front of the frame key hole moutning slot and I just made a rectangular mounting extension that bolted the side pipe tab to the rectangular mounting extension, then bolted the other end of the mounting entension to the carraige bolt in the frame key hole slot. I could have cut off the side pipe mounting tab, but I was afraid I may not weld the side pipe tab on parallel to the frame or at the wrong or the wrong location, which is why I opted for just making the rectangular mounting extension.
Hope that helped
"TEACH"

Get notified of new replies

To side exhaust interchange

Quick Reply: side exhaust interchange