C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake off-is a valve job in order?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 02:00 PM
Marv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake off-is a valve job in order?

I’ve been chasing a persistent vacuum leak that causes a high idle on my 79 L-82. I found one(the last I hope) on the top side of the intake manifold with starting fluid so I have removed it to re-seal it. I’ve always suspected that the intake ports were pulling oil from the lifter valley anyway with usage at 1 quart per 900-1000 miles with only 20,000 miles on a rebuild. The original owner told me the car had always used the same amount of oil from new and that it didn’t change with the rebuild. In looking into the intake ports at the valve stems I’m seeing a “lump” of buildup on the valve stems of several of the intake valves as well as “wet” port walls. Should I go further and pull the heads for valve work or do any other operations or just put the manifold back on. It runs great otherwise, pulls 18-19 inches of vacuum @900 and never smokes. I know Paul79 and others have discussed and have interest in this common problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:08 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Intake off-is a valve job in order? (Marv)

That's a lot of oil burning. When do you see blue smoke?
Old 11-29-2001, 02:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Intake off-is a valve job in order? (Marv)

That's a, you make the call. 20K isn't much. Buildup is reducing flow, but if it's not a big deal don't worry about it. Since you have a manifold leak. I wonder if durring the rebuild the heads were probably surfaced maybe even the block.

You might need to check and see if the intake and heads match up correctly. Many years ago i had to do the racer thing and angle mill some heads. It took me quite awhile to figure out why that car never would idle right. I had a machinest who I thought I could trust machine the intake to match the heads. I had vacuum leaks from the cam valley to intakes.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:18 PM
Marv
Racer

Default Re: Intake off-is a valve job in order? (gkull)

63Banshee-I never have seen any smoke and I’ve put 15k of the 20k miles on the rebuild.

gkull-I was thinking the same about reduced flow. Is there any process to remove that buildup without pulling the heads???

Thanks again

Marv-

Get notified of new replies

To Intake off-is a valve job in order?

Quick Reply: Intake off-is a valve job in order?