C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 01:30 PM
CorvetteCurious
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions

I am in the market for a builder car but don't know exactly what yet. I have pretty good mechanical/body skills (vintage Ford, won't go into that here) and want a new rebuild project (engine and body). I have a budget (because I have women in my life with "plans"). Here are my questions:

1. Want a convertible but would also like the body style of the 76-81 models that did not include a convertible model. A forum search revealed a few posts where a convertible conversion of a 1980 model was referred to. But no particulars were given. Does anyone have experience with this? (T-tops are not enough; I am not a purist.)

2. Are there any engines/models/transmissions to avoid in the C3 class?

3. Is reparing fiberglass possible (I can weld and handle bondo, but that doesn't seem like it would work with fiberglass)?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Kevin
CorvetteCurious
Old 11-29-2001, 03:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions (CorvetteCurious)

1. Buy a convertible and skip the coupe-to-convertible conversion. If that's too conventional, buy a 1968-75 Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) and compare the assembly illustrations for coupes and convertibles. The AIM will show you the differences in coupe/convertible construction and what you're up against when considering the conversion.
2. No.
3. There are several fiberglass repair reference works. Eckler's has his own (pretty good) and Glas-Ra has a two volume set for Sharks (good). Other stuff is out there. Buy some of the references and read up on what fiberglas repair requires. It isn't difficult but there are some basic tenets to know and understand.
:)
Old 11-29-2001, 03:35 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions (Easy Mike)

Find 2npsire, he has an 80 convert, amazing looking car, he can probably tell how to do it.

I would say find a 75 convert rear clip and put it on a 80-82 body.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions

Quick Reply: Newbie's ? Re Model and Convertible Conversions