C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 08:24 AM
69L88clone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ

I bought my dream vette:69 L88 clone.Am looking for a knowlegeable(& patient)individual in the region that I would be willing to pay to teach me how to properly maintain/tune my beautiful car.Any interested parties?
Thanks,
Jim Pascale
Old 11-29-2001, 08:35 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ (69L88clone)

Jim
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your dream car. I think that I can speak for most here on the C3 forum, that you have hit on the best site on the net for information on your car. My advice to you would be to read the posts and ask as many questions as you can. The only dumb question is the one not asked. I think that you will find pleanty of people here that are in your area that would be more the willing to help you if you get in a bind.
Maintaining a Corvette is actually no different then maintaining any other car. Keep the fluids up, the cleaning elements (air, fuel and oil filters) clean, and just preform the regular maintance checks that you would do on your daily driver. Wear and tear items, brakes, plugs, shocks, etc. If you need a mechanic to do some of the work, ask him questions before taking your car to him. I look at it like seeing a doctor, if you are not comfortable with the doctor then how can you put your trust in him.
Dont be afraid to ask anything about your car here.
JoeB
Old 11-29-2001, 08:57 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome! You might want to do a search for "L-88" in recent and archive topics. There's an avid L-88 folowing here. Check Factory Correct Resto too!

Len
Old 11-29-2001, 09:54 AM
72LT1Steve
Instructor

Jim; Welcome to the pond :seeya :seeya Great to hear that you bought your "dream vette". Wish I could say that I have. Just seems I always want something else & usually more expensive. :nopity :nopity :flag
Old 11-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, welcome! I'm sure you'll have no problem at all getting all your questions answered here. First tip: Don't put regular gas in that L88!

Do you have any pictures of the car yet?

-Joe
Old 11-29-2001, 10:08 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you need to find your local club. :) NCRS clubs are great - they have tech seminars and judging schools and all sorts of other educational things. Plus members are aways willing to hang out in each others garages working on projects together. :) http://www.ncrs.org to find a listing of the chapters. Through the forum I've found a bunch of local folks and joined clubs. Before you know it your 'regular' friends will be accusing you of neglect. :jester
Old 11-29-2001, 10:11 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Jim You will get step by step instructions.If you install a computer in the shop and you'll have 10 guys helping you,(and gals) Hi juliet:) and walking thru everything you would want to do. Only difference is your the only guy getting the hands dirty. :) :)

[Modified by paso, 8:12 AM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 10:33 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the "Forum School For Corvettes" :jester Someone here gave me the best advise when I came aboard, and I'll pass it to you... Buy an Assembly Manual (AIM) for your car. It is one of the best tools you can buy for your tool box!! It will become your bible. They are available through most of the major catalog vendors. Good luck and remember... Sharks Wave :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-29-2001, 12:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ (Silvr77)

Jim, I understand where you are coming from! I have seriously considered applying for a job at my mechanic's shop (will work for tips) just so I could learn a bit more. There is nothing better than working side by side with a very knowledgeable person. However, it can also be very rewarding to read your manuals and have questions answered on the forum by literally hundreds of knowledgeable and experienced people!

If you want, you can bring your car over to my place and we can figure out what to do together.

By the way, the "maintaining and tuning" is the easy part, especially if the car has been maintained and is currently set up properly. The harder stuff is pulling out and rebuilding major components.

And one final plug for the forum: There is a real advantage to getting advice from dozens of people who have "been there, done that" as opposed to having a local "expert" do it, who had been doing it wrong his whole life but doesnt know that he doesnt know! MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 11:47 AM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 12:55 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ (MNJack)

FIRST, CONGRATS. LOTSA FOLKS WOULD LIKE ONE, CLONE INCLUDED. SOME WARNINGS: THE L88 WAS BUILT AS A RACE CAR. IT WAS NOT BUILT FOR THE STREET. YOU WILL FIND USING FOR NORMAL STREET DRIVING IT TENDS TO OVERHEAT, AND IS A MONSTER TO HANDLE

AND LIKE SAID BEFORE, PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAS YOU MUST USE. 93 OCTANE WONT CUT IT

SEND US PICS!
Old 11-29-2001, 06:39 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ (MELVIN)

Hi Jim,

I've been following this forum for about 6 months and the info is great. The folks are all real helpful. I'm sure if you get in a bind, somebody would likely help you out. I've noticed a lot of members from central & south NJ. What projects are you planning to start first?

--Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ

Quick Reply: Mentor sought/Will Pay-Central NJ