C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid dampner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:17 PM
waterhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid dampner?

my engine has a slight vibration that starts at 3000 and gets worse with higher R.P.M.s. The engine performs great in all other ways. Could a fluid dampner solve this vibration?
Thanks,
Kerry
Old 11-29-2001, 01:07 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fluid dampner? (waterhead)

I'm no expert on this, but I think a fluidamper will just partially mask your problem which sounds like an unbalanced rotating assembly.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:02 AM
DeenHylton
Racer

I agree with "flynhi"...it could be a number of things. I have run into a couple of vibration problems over the years, from getting a 350 chev with a 400 flex plate (bad vibration) to almost pulling an engine out of a pickup for a teardown. Had the engine totaly unbolted underneath and was in the process of pulling the radiator out when I found the fan had lost one blade...installed a used junkyard fan...no vibration. You need to look deeper for the cause of the vibration. Deen :confused:
Old 11-29-2001, 08:22 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

If you can feel the vibration, no. And, it's not likely that you're dealing with an engine primary balance problem unless someone has put 400 parts on your 350 as was suggested above. You could be dealing with anything from a timing problem to engine mounts and I feel for you because tracking down this sort of problem almost defies traditional troubleshooting methods once you get past the obvious visual inspection. This is as close as it comes to throwing money at the problem until it goes away.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:55 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

if you car is a std shift it could be the clutch assy is out of balance. :chevy
Old 11-29-2001, 05:04 PM
simard
Instructor

Default Re: Fluid dampner? (clem zahrobsky)

The hardest imbalance that I ever had to find was a bad pilot bearing. Hammered to about 1/8 inch oversize hole for the input shaft. I hope that you find your problem long before you get this deep into pulling things apart.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid dampner?

Quick Reply: Fluid dampner?