C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight openings and cracks

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 09:14 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Headlight openings and cracks

I'm starting on the body work in preparation to paint next Spring. I plan to send away for the Ecklers book to study a bit on these long Winter nights.
The one tricky area I've found is the narrow strip of fiberglass in front of each of the headlight openings and the back edge of the urethane bumper.
Both strips are cracked clean through and there is evidence of bondo indicating they've been worked before.
Does anybody know the correct way to repair these cracks? And what kinds of fillers, resins or other products should I use to make a permanent repair? :confused:
Old 11-28-2001, 09:30 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Headlight openings and cracks (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

The best way is too strip the entire body since you want to paint anyway. All of the old Bondo needs to be removed and replaced with Evercoat plasticworks. It works great. It took me 3 months to strip and sand and seal with DP-50 and spray on the Prima K36 surfacer. Total cost of all of that was about $700 and about 150 hours of work. then it will be ready for some one to paint.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:33 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Headlight openings and cracks (Paul 75 L82)

I have some cracks in my front urethane bumper. Will the Evercoat plasticworks work for that too? I can't really afford to pay for another bumper.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight openings and cracks

Quick Reply: Headlight openings and cracks