C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 04:49 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC

MY 3RD OIL CHANGE IS COMING UP ON MY 502. IT WAS BROKE IN WITH CASTROL PETROLEUM... I WANT TO GO SYNTHETIC. WHAT'S UP WITH BLENDS/SYNTHETIC
Old 11-28-2001, 05:32 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC (MELVIN)

Melvin,many believe a synthetic blend is 50% synthetic and 50% dino.
In reality dpending on the company the breakdown is 10-15% synthetic the rest dino oil.

[Modified by 69er, 3:32 PM 11/28/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 06:15 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC (69er)

Yup..synthetic blend would be a mixture of synth and organic oil. Full synthetic would be 100% man made. Not from any crude oil.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:14 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC (MELVIN)

For what it worth I just went through the same, switching to synthetic once the break in was done. I too broke in with castrol, and now switched to synthetic. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50, it suppose to flow at -38, so I thought it would be a good winter oil.

The reason for my choice;
I am a big castrol oil fan and ran the their synthetic oil in my lawn mower this summer, but once it got hot the motor made funny noises like the oil wasn't protecting well. I switched to Castro dino and all funny noises went away. However, the past three years I ran Mobil 1 synthetic and it always protected well. By the way I push snow in the winter with my mower and the Mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 (flows at -58) alway has done a super job at start up, come pared to dino I tried.

I know there is a big differnce between my corvette and my air cooled mower, but if I don't have a good feeling about using it in my mower I sure won't use it in my vet.

[Modified by Tominator, 5:15 PM 11/29/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC

Quick Reply: WHATS THE DIF? SYNTHETIC BLEND VS. SYNTHETIC