C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold engine starts: How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 03:22 PM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold engine starts: How do you do it?

Last Monday we had our monthly Corvette Club meeting. I had a great time, hanging out with Xracer and Red73. After the meeting we saw some interesting things that people do when starting their Vette when it is cold out.

[Story time]When I first start my car after it has been sitting for a while, I go through a step by step procedure: Check the oil, adding more if nessary. Get in the car and pump the gas 3 to 4 times. Turn the engine over for 2 to 3 seconds. If she does not fire, I pump the gas 2 or 3 times and hit the key again. This normally gets the car running if it has been sitting for a few days. Once it is running, I pull out of the garage and let it sit in the drive way at idle until the temp comes up before driving.
If the car has been sitting outside in ~40 degree weather for 2 to 3 hours, I will start it up and let it idle until the temp comes up. If I try to drive before the temp comes up, the car bucks and stalls. (probably a simple choke adjustment on my part) [/Story time]

After the meeting, while we were standing in the parking lot, a couple got into their 75 coupe. It is a super nice looking car, has a new crate engine, and a under car chambered exhaust system. (which sounds SWEET!) Now this is what kills me. They get in the car and start it. I would say 10 seconds after the car is running, he rev's it up to 3000 or 4000 RPMs. (the chambered exhaust really does sound sweet!) He them pulls out onto the road and hammers down as he leaves the parking lot. (did I say how good chambered exhaust sounds?) :)
I would not even think of doing this in my daily driver, let alone in my Vette. Am I just really **** about starting my car? I didn't think it was a good idea to rev a cold engine.
What is your opinion on this? Do you let your engine warm up before you rev it up, or drive away?

-John

:cheers:
Old 11-28-2001, 03:30 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (JohnS_77)

Pics of the car John's talking about. The engine was a new crate motor this past summer.

Old 11-28-2001, 03:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I have looked into this and here's what I found:

Letting a car idle until warm is NOT good. Chevies rely on splash oil for camshaft lubrication and there is very little oil splash at idle.

Best thing is to drive the at engine speeds below 2500 rpm, and only light load until the coolant is at operating temp.

No, revving a cold engine to 4000 rpm and peel out is not a good thing to do. :eek:
Old 11-28-2001, 03:38 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From my point of view it ain't that bad but its not good either....letting your engine idle for a little while will make sure that its well oiled up. And since the oil gets thicker in winter, its a good thing to let it idle a bit more. Thats the only reason I could see.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:45 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, here's my $0.02. Move to a warm climate and drive your car 365 days/year. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (79MakoL82)

OK, here's my $0.02. Move to a warm climate and drive your car 365 days/year. Just a suggestion.
I hate you 79MakoL82 :D
Old 11-28-2001, 03:50 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Long idle times are bad for several reasons; fuel economy, oiling and blowby. Most car manfacturers recommend a very short warm up followed by moderate driving. Avoid heavy loads or excessive rpms until fully warmed up. The engine actually warms faster, has better oiling, reduced oil contamination and fewer emissions when driven at moderate speeds after a brief warmup.

That being said, I'd rather purchase a used car from the long warmup camp than the hammer 'n go types :smash:
Old 11-28-2001, 04:16 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (JYD69_427)

My start procedure (from the Owners Manual that came with my documentation package for my car):

1) Quickly press accelerator all the way down once and let up fast (this sets the choke closed and kicks the linkage into fast idle).

2) Crank with very slight pedal pressure until it fires up (usually 2 - 3 seconds).

3) If it doesn't fire right up, well, that never happens.

As for idle, I let it idle for 1 - 1.5 minutes max before driving off. I then keep it below 2,500 until it is at operating temperature. You can damage motors by revving them so much that the secondaries open before the engine is warm...

When I get a chance, I'll scan the page that I'm talking about that has the starting instructions on it. And remember, if you flood it, hold the pedal all the way down before cranking again or you'll never un-flood it.

:smash:

[Modified by rainman69, 1:18 PM 11/28/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 04:25 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-28-2001, 04:37 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (sdotson)

sdotson: You KNOW how funny that is coming from me. Like I said, Florida does have it's advantages too. :cool: :lol:
Old 11-28-2001, 04:40 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

79MakoL82 - What's up? Just last week you were complaining about Florida
& cold calling tan salesmen that play too much golf.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:52 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (71coupe)

A "warm climate" doesn't necessarily mean Florida. I would also say that there are advantages to a warm climate (which DOES include Florida) and one of those is being able to drive your Vette 365 days/year. My rant last week was a result of 18 months of frustration. I have my good days and I have my bad. I'm not completely against Florida, in fact there are many excellant things about it, unfortunately for me, employment is not one of them. I DO enjoy driving my Vette every day, and have no "cold start" problems. :D
Old 11-28-2001, 05:04 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I usually drive it out of my driveway immediately after I start it (due to not wanting to tick off the neighbors at 7 AM). Then I drive very nicely until the oil pressure at idle is near what it is when fully warmed up. This is usually after the coolent reaches normal temps.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Cold engine starts: How do you do it? (Chris A)

Two things- I drive my Vette more in the winter than Summer and hammer down takeoffs on a cold motor will eat up valve seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold engine starts: How do you do it?

Quick Reply: Cold engine starts: How do you do it?