C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate

My alternator just recently went out in my 1979 L-48, after installing a new one I began to hear this click sound near the distributor. As I accelerate the click pace increases as well. If I let off the accelerator the click stops and then continues as I accelerate. I don't seem to have lost any performance. The clicking is just annoying since I do not remember it being there prior to the alternator change. On a drive home from work I came to a complete stop and all console lights dimmed alittle and my battery guage read half way. After accelerating and driving the power returned to normal and the guage returned to normal levels. Anyone know about this clicking near the distributor? I'm not sure if it's a minor problem and soon to be major one. I would really appreciate some help on this, since my car is a daily driver right now and I can't afford it to sit in the garage due to a major problem, I'm trying to fix things as soon as I can tell, hear, or see a problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2001, 02:47 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate (Phoenix79)

It sounds like you have an electrical leak coming from the cap or a plug wire.
Wait until it gets dark & start it up - you should see a spark.
Also, if you have a tach drive dist, disconnect the cable & see if the noise goes away.
Welcome to the forum :cheers:
Old 11-28-2001, 02:47 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate (Phoenix79)

Welcome to the forum!

I would assume with the clicking, I would say comething is hitting something. I would take the distributor apart and look for evidence of collisions inside the cap.

Old 11-28-2001, 05:33 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate (MikeC)

My neighbor had the same thing going on in his boat. The spark from the coil was weak and a new coil fixed it for him.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:08 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with MikeC.....something amis inside dist cap.............. had the rivit let go on the rotor of my 66 big/block :eek: it happens :crazy: & the little brass thing let go ........take a good look at the inside of your dist cap ................................
Old 11-28-2001, 06:34 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Default Re: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate (StrayDog)

Could it be the tach cable?
Old 11-28-2001, 07:05 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

If the above do not result in a find and fix, start looking at the valve train. I once chased a clicking sound from the back of a 327 for two years rebuilding dist, replacing rockers, lifters and finally ran out of options and pulled motor. It was a broken piston skirt! The broken part was held in place by the shape of the break and piston. It clicked as it changed direction in the cyl, extremely unusual.

Tyler
Old 11-28-2001, 08:20 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate (69ttop502)

Could it be the tach cable?
This would be my first guess. :yesnod:
Old 11-28-2001, 10:10 PM
dsagers
Pro

Had a clicking from the same area, turned out to be the air filter hitting some other parts, as it was not installed corectly.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:10 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Do '79's have tach cables???

I figured they were all HEI's with electronic tachs.

Jim
Old 11-29-2001, 01:32 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get an engine stethoscope for under $20 from Sears or a poor man's version like a screw driver and listen for source. You will be able to locate whether it is inside the cap, or inside the block, etc. You can find the source very quickly with this very useful tool.

Chuck
Old 11-29-2001, 02:46 AM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Thanks for the information everyone. Since I'm more than sure this clicking came right after the installation of the new alternator I'm going to assume it's something eletrical and start from there. I'll give a good look at the distributor this weekend and go from there. If I need more answers I'm sure to look for them at my new Corvette family here at Corvetteforum.com

A real newbie at cars, especially the Corvette, but I learn quick and plan to read every topic here atleast once. Thanks again everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate

Quick Reply: Click sound near distributor; clicks faster as I accelerate