C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need carb help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 10:15 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need carb help please!

I finally have the engine back in the car, and I was cleaning up the fuel lines and putting in new filters last night. When I pulled the main fuel fitting out of the carb, it was covered with what looked like sealer. I cleaned the fitting, but when I went to put it in, the threads were all stripped. This is the large (1 inch hex) fitting. The carb is a Quadrajet. Anybody have any suggestions for fixing this? Right now it seems my options are: use epoxy and forget about ever removing again; trying to retap using a slightly larger fitting; new carb and not be original anymore.

Thanks for any help. :confused:
Old 11-28-2001, 10:21 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need carb help please! (bb69)

stripped out carb inlets on qjets are very common: Sounds as if someone did it, and used some sort of sealer/epoxy to fix. I stripped one out on the qjet on my 79 a ways back. Easy fix:

Go to any parts store. They sell a new inlet that has a slightly larger, tapered and tapped end:, It screws right in, seals tight, costs about 9 bucks
Old 11-28-2001, 10:24 AM
bb69
Drifting

Default Re: Need carb help please! (MELVIN)

Thanks Melvin.

I assumed it was common because the metal in the carb is so soft and the threads so fine. My buddies Quad looks as if someone sealed it up before too. I am headed to Napa today anyway, so I will check.

Thanks again. :cheers:
Old 11-28-2001, 10:37 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

NAPS will def have them. For you holley folks, this happens as well. Again, kits are sold almost everywhere for a fix
Old 11-28-2001, 12:09 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

make sure you start the rethread straight or it will leak. if it is a rare carb i would have one of the carb rebuilders heli coil it. :chevy
Old 11-28-2001, 01:02 PM
bb69
Drifting

Default Re: Need carb help please! (clem zahrobsky)

I didn't think they made a Heli-coil that big. It doesn't seem like there is enough material to drill and tap for a Heli-coil. Do you know anyone in particularly I should talk to? I have had good luck with Heli-coils, and that sounds like a better solution, but expensive as well.

Thanks
Ken
Old 11-28-2001, 01:58 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

try mr carburator in cleveland ohio 440-779 7917.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:05 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: Need carb help please! (clem zahrobsky)

THREADING THE NEW OUTLET IN IS NO BIG DEAL. JUST EYEBALL IT, AND TAKE YOUR TIME. THOUSANDS OF FOLKS HAVE DONE IT
Old 12-05-2001, 12:58 PM
bb69
Drifting

Melvin,
Thanks for the advice on the insert. I didn't find anyone close that did the Heli-coil, so I tried the insert. The first one I got at Napa was much too big. The next one I got at Autozone, was too small. However, it looked identical to the one in the carb already. It seems like the previously owner must have tried this. Are there several oversizes, for when the first repair goes bad? If not, I'll try the guy in Ohio.

Thanks
Ken
Old 12-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same problem but mine wasnt completely stripped and a guy managed to get the bushing to seat.
Anyway--- Bowen Carburetor in Langhorne Pa.--- will put a helicoil in it, and rebuild it (never had work done there but heard he was good) for 165.00... Let me know if you cant get it fixed Ill dig up his phone## :cheers:
Old 12-06-2001, 12:52 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,922 Likes on 1,929 Posts

The "thread sealer" gray stuff you saw in your inlet is oxidized, dissolved aluminum from your threads dissolving. This is a common problem on the Q-Jets.

The over-sized, self-tapping fitting is a band-aid fix that will not last long - the threads will strip back out again. The only way to fix this right is to install a Helicoil.

Helicoil is actually a brand name, and "Helicoil" does not make an insert for the carbs. There are two different thread sizes used in Q-Jets: the early carbs use a 7/8"-20 thread, and the later ones use a 1"-20 thread. These are not standard thread sizes. There is a place that makes special helicoils for the carbs, and the kits to fix the threads will run you about $200, not including the special drill size (an extra $50). Mr. Carburetor does not sell the thread kits, but he can do the operation for you. I don't know what he charges, but he's a great guy.

I can drill, tap and helicoil your carb for you back to the correct size. Due to the tooling investment I have in this, I have to charge $50 to do the operation - I know this is high, but I have too much $$ wrapped up in these kits and drills. Your carb inlet will then be better than new. Let me know if I can help.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:04 PM
bb69
Drifting

Default Re: Need carb help please! (lars)

Lars,
Thanks for the reply. I talked to John at Mr Carburetor yesterday. I am interested in your service and knowledge about carbs. If you don't mind, maybe we can talk over private email.

Thanks
Ken
grulich69@aol.com

Get notified of new replies

To Need carb help please!

Quick Reply: Need carb help please!