C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting a Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gutting a Catalytic converter

Is there a trick too gutting a stock catalytic converter other than just pushing holes thru it? I cant go to true duals or a test pipe--(Inspection).. I Posted in the wanted section if anyone is selling one... Any help would be appreciated.... :cheers:
Old 11-28-2001, 03:56 AM
lou
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gutting a Catalytic converter (Rich80)

I can't tell you about the original, if thats what you have. But on my after market converter, I took a long steel rod and hammerred it thru at 1 inch intervals. You basically want to break up the honey comb material until the pieces are small enough to come out the pipe :smash: It's a real mess, so i put one end of the pipe in a card board box while doing this. Any way it was fairly easy and everything just fell right out. Took 20 minutes. I could believe the difference. Gas milage went up and it will also sound nicer too :D lou
Old 11-28-2001, 11:28 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Gutting a Catalytic converter (lou)

Mr. Catalytic Converter... meet Mr. Broom Handle. :D
:smash:
Old 11-28-2001, 11:42 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the stock pancake converter (about 3" thick, it's wide and flat), there is a plug in it that holds the media in. Unlike all the other manufacturers, GM used loose "*****" that are poured into the converter and the exhaust passes through them. You have to remove the converter to get them all out, but I have had success removing the plug, firing up the vehicle and thus blowing out the remaining pellets. We used to replace the media when people ran leaded fuel through them and ruined the pellets. The plugs (used once) are available from GM. One good thing, you can save the pellets and put them back in for smog check purposes. By the way, it's tough to poke through these, as they have two layers of angled steel plates. Good luck.

Hans

[Modified by Wrencher, 9:50 AM 11/28/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 11:49 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Gutting a Catalytic converter (Wrencher)

You beat me to the punch! Yes, pellets come out the bottom.

Old 11-28-2001, 12:32 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Rich80,
Like Wrencher said you can remove the media inside. I felt even with the guts removed it was still very restrictive. I used a large drill motor with side handel and a 2 1/4 in. hole saw to cut out the interior metal baffels. Now theres a nice straight shot for the exchust to pass thru. Re-installed. If it doesnt pass emisions I'll buy a new high flow cat.

Get notified of new replies

To Gutting a Catalytic converter

Quick Reply: Gutting a Catalytic converter