C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel & Clutch Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 05:21 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Flywheel & Clutch Questions?

I have a flywheel for the 454 that I purchased at Corvette Carlisle, I paid $35 for it (needs resurfaced). The flywheel is for an externally balanced 454 engine and has 168 teeth on the flywheel and measures 14" across.

Just out of curiousity, will my small block bellhousing work with this flywheel? I won't be using the small block bellhousing (I have a Lakewood Blowproof on its way), but it would be nice to know.

Now for the clutch, I need to know what the specs are? I will be using a Borg Warner Super T10 Wide Ratio 4 Speed. I have no idea what pressure plate diameter and spline I will need, could someone tell me?

I have my choice of clutches narrowed down to two. I am either going with a Hays or a Centerforce Dual Friction. Any recommendations for a 550HP 454?

Old 11-27-2001, 05:30 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (bence13_33)

I have a flywheel for the 454 that I purchased at Corvette Carlisle, I paid $35 for it (needs resurfaced). The flywheel is for an externally balanced 454 engine and has 168 teeth on the flywheel and measures 14" across.

Just out of curiousity, will my small block bellhousing work with this flywheel? I won't be using the small block bellhousing (I have a Lakewood Blowproof on its way), but it would be nice to know.

Now for the clutch, I need to know what the specs are? I will be using a Borg Warner Super T10 Wide Ratio 4 Speed. I have no idea what pressure plate diameter and spline I will need, could someone tell me?

I have my choice of clutches narrowed down to two. I am either going with a Hays or a Centerforce Dual Friction. Any recommendations for a 550HP 454?

I'm pretty sure the bellhousings are the same for a SB/BB, curious as to why you went with a Lakewood instead of using stock.

The pressure plate/clutch depends on what the flywheel is drilled for. It will either be 10.5" or 11", most have both patterns so which one is up to you... Might as well go with the 11". I assume you already have the 4-sp, count the splines on the input shaft... it's that simple. Then order accordingly...

I see a Ram or MeCleod dual/triple disk setup in your future.. :lol:

[Modified by 70PurpleLS7, 4:41 PM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 05:37 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bence - Don't do what I did - install the pilot bearing without checking it first on the pilot shaft. See link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=189560
I just got back from the Chevy parts counter with a new GM bearing. The p/n is: 1#14061685.
The Chevy bearing is a roller bearing.
Good luck
:cheers:
Old 11-27-2001, 08:41 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (70PurpleLS7)

70PurpleLS7:
In my 19 years on this earth, I have grown quite attached to my feet :). I've heard stories as well as seen pictures of shattered clutch discs....the fragments of the exploded clutch can/will come straight up through the floor boards and cut your feet off. I found the Lakewood scatterproof bellhousing on eBay and purchased it slightly used for $140. I figure $140 for my safety is money well-spent...it may not make me go any faster or produce more power, but it gives me piece of mind.

Yes, I already have the transmission but it's currently in my car. That is why I can't count the splines. I actually like the MeCleod clutches...my uncle has one in his '64 'Vette but he doesn't like it, he says "it's too grabby" :) I may look into getting a MeCleod, the hard clutch pedal doesn't bother me. My current clutch pedal is VERY hard to push but I actually prefer it that way.

71coupe:
Thanks for the advise! I noticed Jeg's carries a Moroso roller pilot bearing for $12.99, is this what you were talking about?

[Modified by bence13_33, 6:47 PM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 09:09 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've heard stories as well as seen pictures of shattered clutch discs....the fragments of the exploded clutch can/will come straight up through the floor boards and cut your feet off.
I'm considerably more mature (nicer than OLDER :) ) than you and have been involved with some pretty radical race & street cars over a period longer than your lifetime and have NEVER seen a clutch/flywheel explosion in a car that was using good quality parts and was properly setup. Those stories are good around the garage BSing with buds, etc. but are usually more fiction than fact.

Your Lakewood will fit both SB & BBs. And as was said earlier clutch PP/disc size depends on flywheel drilling. Use good quality bolts (ARP) and loctite for the flywheel and PP. I have the Hays Street/Strip clutch set and its performed well for me.

Mark
Old 11-27-2001, 10:16 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Ok, considering the price you bought it for ($140), might as well go with it. :)
Old 11-27-2001, 11:09 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (mdsmith)

Mark:
I can remember vividly a Corvette Forum member posting pictures of a shattered clutch plate. He powershifted to 2nd gear when he heard a loud bang and had to baby it home without using the clutch. Last I heard he was buying a blowproof bellhousing. This was quite a ways back (I probably only had about 300 or so posts).

How does one go about figuring out what size clutch plate his flywheel is drilled for?
Old 11-27-2001, 11:16 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bence

All the C3 BB clutches were 11" and your trans has the 26 spline imput shaft.

Terry
Old 11-27-2001, 11:21 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (trw)

TRW:
Thanks a bunch, that's exactly the information I was looking for! :cheers:
Old 11-28-2001, 02:09 AM
fireball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bence - plan on having to align your Lakewood to the crank. I have been going in circles with hard shifting prob's and finally had to buy a dial indicator with magnet base to determine I needed off-set dowels in my block instead of the straight stock ones. Alignment has to be within 5 thousands of an inch, I was at .011". It's a pain but you'll kick yourself if you have to R&R the tranny and clutch again. Lakewood should provide detailed instructions on how to do this.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:12 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 14 inch flywheel will not fit a SB bellhousing. It is close but will not clear. If you went with a stock bellhousing one from a one ton truck will fit fine but they used hydraulic clutches.
The 14 inch flywheel will also fit a 11 inch clutch. Just for general interest a ford pressure plate will work fine as will a chev. I got a good deal on a 11 inch ford pressure plate Centerforce and it bolted right up to the chevy flywheel. All the holes are the same.
Definitely index the bellhousing. They have specs of only .005 runout. Check it with any aftermarket bellhousing. Even check a stock bellhousing.
Good luck
Old 11-28-2001, 09:50 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a little history here. Don Garlits lost half his right foot early in his career from an exploding clutch. I'm sure his dragster had much more power than the typical street car but I'm also sure that it was well set up. Anyone who races a stick shift car, even casually, should look into a scattershield. I even bent the bellhousing on a 52 Chevy running a stock Stovebolt Six when the clutch gave up the ghost. Of course I was much younger and more foolish then. Not like now. :D :lol:
Old 11-28-2001, 12:39 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bence, the bearing in Jegs is the same type, but I would get the GM one.
If you are looking into safety items, Deist sells a "balistic clutch blanket"
for around 160.00
Here is the link:

http://www.deist.com/Containment_Dev...ansmisson.html
Old 11-28-2001, 12:56 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (71coupe)

Both small blocks and big blocks either used a 14 inch or 12 3/4 inch and an 11 inch or 10.4 inch clutch depending on application. The bellhousings for big and small blocks are the same, and as long as you use the correct housing for the flywheel, starter and clutch that you have, there will be no problem. Nearly all C3 small blocks used a 14 inch flywheel and 11 inch clutch along with the 621 bellhousing, and most all big blocks used this same setup as well.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:18 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Flywheel & Clutch Questions? (norvalwilhelm)

Norval:
Will the Lakewood bellhousing that I am purchasing work with the 14" Flywheel? It says it's for '58-81 Chevy V8, 90* V6....I was almost positive it would work, but now you have me thinking that it won't fit.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:32 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats BS mark...The reason I started my restoration/mod project is because I broke the clutch at the dragstrip. Now, it was well installed as I had run for car for more than a year with it. I wasn't aware of the danger when it happened...actually didn't know what was wrong. Its when I lifted the engine that I saw what remained from the clutch and the slot it did in the bellhousing... I will take pictures of both next weekend.

And btw that ain't on an extreme engine...has around 250hp and was using a cheap clutch.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:48 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

There was a guy in my corvette club drag racing a '69 Camaro. It was basically stock and did not make it for the complete run. Bits and pieces were all over the track and the clutch pedal was just laying on the floor pan. It was cut off by the flywheel. I have a Lakewood bellhousing on my car now. It was an easy $200 decision.

bence, look for the number stamped on your bellhousing. If it ends in 621, it will work with the 14" flywheel. Also, I ended up going with a McLeoud (sp?) street twin setup and I have no complaints so far, but I've only driven with it for about 200 mi. I also went with a McLeoud roller bearing.

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel & Clutch Questions?

Old 11-28-2001, 03:44 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

bence13_33: I just received my 5-speed today and I still haven't ordered clutch yet. I got two choices McLeod and Centerforce. I bought the tranny from Gforcetransmissions and they told me to go fo McLeod, so that is propably what I'm going to get. It should be good for 600hp and that big bl;ock torque of yours....
Old 11-28-2001, 04:12 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Norval:
Will the Lakewood bellhousing that I am purchasing work with the 14" Flywheel? It says it's for '58-81 Chevy V8, 90* V6....I was almost positive it would work, but now you have me thinking that it won't fit.

I don't know if your bellhousing will work or not. All big and small blocks have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing but the 14 inch flywheel will not clear a small block bellhousing. I was at the wreckers with my flywheel and we tried many different bellhousing and nothing fit. We ended up taking a bellhousing off a 1 ton truck and it fit. All the bellhousing will bolt to the engine. Try it yourself. Take your flywheel and put it in the bellhousing lieing on the floor It only has to fit in a inch or so. If you can put it in this 1 inch it will fit.
I have no experience with lakewood bellhousing but have had experience with small block setups.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:26 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

As some have said already, your Lakewood should be okay. I had a Lakewood, like yours, with my small block setup years ago. I ran an 11" clutch with a 26 spline disc, because the input shaft on my super T-10 was a "fine spline" or 26 tooth. I am now using the same 14" flywheel I used then, but this time it's behind a big block. As Norvel said, check the alignment. I had problems speed shifting my Doug Nash 5 speed, (I replaced the T-10), and it was due to bad alignment, meaning the input shaft was not centered properly. You can re-align them, but it is tedious. I don't have this set up now, I just purchased a #621 bellhousing and bought a Centerforce clutch for my new T-56 and they include instructions on checking alignment and depth of clutch fork pivot ball, as it applies to an aftermarket bell housing. If you don't check them, you might have shifting problems and premature wear. Lastly, my opinion on the safety issue is buy what you feel comfortable with. I have never personally experienced a clutch explosion and have run standards for 35+ years. I have seen explosions at the drags with high torque motors running real fast. I also suspect that there would have been steel housings standard on the 67-70 era cars, if this would have been a common occurance. If you race and use cheap or worn parts and dump the clutch on the starting line, like we all do, there will always be a chance of it happening. I would hope that everyone puts loops on their drive shafts, as there is a real chance of breaking parts back of the transmission that can hurt you as well.

Quick Reply: Flywheel & Clutch Questions?