C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 10:48 AM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood

How bout this setup for intake??
Mine is a 69 SB hood.

It seems that Chris A. has (edel carb) with Weiand Team G (3.5" front, 4.5" rear) in his 69 SB. what if I put in a Edel Performer RPM AIr Gap (4.2" front 5.25" rear) with my holly 750.

Now I need to make up approx 3/4 inch , right? So I put a 2" cleaner with TOP and SIDE filter also to improve the air flow. And a 1 " drop base air cleaner. Will it fit and will it flow?

:flag
Old 11-27-2001, 11:19 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood (Clink69)

I don't think it will fit. I don't know the differences between the heights of a Holley vs. a quadrajet, but I don't believe that there is much.

If you have any hood insulation (I don't), the filter element on the top will be smushed against it rendering it useless. I have a 1.25" (I think) drop base air filter assembly which makes the stacking height 2.5" with a 3" filter, due to the increased height on the filter lid (I'm not sure how much height the K&N filter top adds).

If you really want to be sure, you can always order the parts from Summit and try it out. If it doesn't work, just send them back and all you will be out is the shipping.

Also, gkull may chime in here, but I think the solid motor mounts may give you a hair extra and going with '73+ body mounts will also raise it up a little.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:21 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood (Clink69)

The hood will actually hit the carb airhorn so it really won't matter what style air cleaner you use. You can't use a high-rise intake, like the Edelbrock RPM (Airgap or otherwise) with the stock 68-72 smallblock hood. If you want to check it out, put some Playdough or clay on top of your current setup and close the hood. Measure the compressed thickness and do the math.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood

Quick Reply: Intake setup, will it fit, will it flow: Wanna fit that Edel RPM Air Gap in my SB hood