C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 01:44 AM
spiru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

Hi,

I have a 78 vette auto with the stock 350, the problem is if there is one is with the transmission. The car has been parked the last 2 yrs and this week I decided to start driving it again so after checking and replacing all the fluids the car likes to rev up to the red line but not all the time. At first I thought it might be the colder weather but it doesn't do it constantly enough.

I've driven the car "like I stole it" and also like grandpa would and it will shift at redline or normal. To make this a little clearer if I drive the car and it shifts at redline it will do so until I turn off the engine and wait a couple of hours then I can drive it again and it will shift normal. This is driving me nuts!

Before I parked it, didn't remember it doing this.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:59 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Transmission Question (spiru)

What happens when you manually shift it from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd? Could your vacuum hose be a little dry rotted from sitting. I'm assuming tranny fluid level is on the money? Can you start out in 2nd? Help us out and we'll help you out.....Welcome to the Forum!!! :yesnod: :seeya :flag
Old 11-27-2001, 02:15 AM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: Transmission Question (tnt76vette)

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah it does it when I manually shift down to 2nd or first, now that you mention it some of the vacuum hoses are a little old in appearance.

To be honest I'm a newbie at non-FI engines so the learning curve is still a little high.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:30 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

If you're lucky, a hose change just might do the trick, and remember one thing; "there are no dumb Q's, only dumb A's here... :yesnod:
Old 11-27-2001, 07:24 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure if it's the problem, but you might want to check out the vacuum modulator line. On mine, it is a metal line connected on either end by rubber lines. One is connected to a nipple on the back of the intake, the other is connected to the modulator on the passenger front side of the transmission. The modulator helps control shift points.

I know you need to get this problem fixed first, but FYI, they make adjustable modulators. I'm using one, with a shift kit, and really like the harder/quicker shift the combination provides.

Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Question

Quick Reply: Transmission Question