C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays

Old 11-26-2001, 02:13 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays

I don't have any backup lights on the back of my 68. I've seen the combo white/red lenses on later models, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be on a 68.
Also after completely ripping out the dash, I noticed there was no flex tube connected to the drivers side grill/ball for ventilation. Where is this supposed to hook into the blower box?
AND, what is the relay under the shifter console, just to the right of the flasher unit. Wiper relay? I've got 3 electrical schematics, 2 show a relay and 1 doesn't so I'm not even sure if there is one.
If you havnt guessed, I've decided to redo the electrical and vacuum connections that were messed up by the previous owner. I got to the point where it was easier to just start over.
Thanks in advance, I've got a lot of helpful info off this board.
Gary
Old 11-26-2001, 02:16 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays (Garys '68)

68 back up lamps were separate (one year only) and located one under each rear bumper. The ventilation ball is hooked to provide fresh air from outside the car. The relay under the console I can't help much on this one, maybe the reverse light switch.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:18 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Gary, You really need a 68 AIM. It will show what goes where. From the sound:

1. The relay: could be the heater control relay
2. You should have a conduit on the vent ball

Ill check my 68 aim tonite
Does your car have ac, or just heater?
Old 11-26-2001, 02:20 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Gary -- you need the '68 AIM. Trust me. Been there. Done that.
:)
Old 11-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Garys '68
Racer

You know guys, I think I need an AIM. My problem is that I haven't been able to get a catalog from ZIP or Ecklers to order one. I've spent the last month trying to fix everything the previous owner screwed up with a useless Haynes manual (only one I could find). Nobody seems to have any catalogs.

Is there anyone out there that could provide me with the info (Vendor, ie. ZIP , cost, and part number) for a good manual. 68 convertable, small block, 4 speed manual, no AC.
Thanks

BTW, No AC, and the passenger side vent ball is hook to a flex hose to the vent/blower box. The box stops by the accelerator pedal. I dont see a hookup on the box for the drivers side, but there is an opening up and to the left of the drivers side ball vent. Although that opening looks like it goes into the engine compartment to the left of the brake booster.
I could probably figure all this stuff out by disconnecting stuff and trying it out. But with the whole dash, center console and some engine electrical connectors loose, I'm afraid I'll short something out or burn it up if I hook up the battery.
Gary
Old 11-26-2001, 04:51 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

The relay under the console, at least in 69, is the wiper relay. Still available from GM for about $20.00 as I recall. Chuck
Old 11-26-2001, 04:59 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

GARY, SOME BAD NEWS:

THE 68 HAS A DIFFERENT WIRING HARNESS THAN THE 69 AND LATER. THIS IS DUE TO THE WIPER MOTOR AND IGNITION SWITCH BEING A ONE YEAR WONDER. ADD TO THAT THE WIPER SYSTEM HAD DIFFERENCES.

WHAT MAKES THIS WORSE, IS THAT OBVIUOSLY, SOMEONE HAS BEEN THERE BEFORE YOU. AND CHANCES ARE, SPLICING WAS DONE HERE, A LITTLE TWISTING THERE, THIS WIRE REMOVED OVER THERE. AND ALL BY SPLICING IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER WITH THE IMPROPER COLOR WIRE. THIS MAKES THE JOB OF TRACING WIRES DOWN TO THIER ORIGIN DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE.

MY WIRING WAS SO BUGGERED UP WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO WANT TO GET THINGS TO WORK. I MEAN, AT ONE POINT IN TIME, IT WAS OBVIUOS THERE WAS AN ELECTRIC FIRE IN THE DASH, AS MELTED WIRES WERE SPLICED WITH DIFFERENT COLOR WIRES HERE AND THERE. AND WHEN I COMPARED, SAY THE WIRES AT THE IGNITION SWITCH, ONLY A 1/3 OF THE WIRES WERE THE CORRECT COLOR. COURTESY LITE WIRES WERE TOTALLY MISSING. UNDER THE HOOD IS A MONSTROSITY

MY NEXT BIG INVESTMENT, IS A NEW DASH/ENGINE COMPARTMENT WIRING HARNESS. ONLY ABOUT $800!

HAYNES AND CLINTON MANUALS (WIRE DIAGRAMS) ARE WORTHLESS. ITS TOO GENERIC. THE AIM HAS A SPECIFIC WIRING DIAGRAM FOR OUR 68'S.

YEAH, I KNOW. WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF 68'S
Old 11-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays (MELVIN)

Melvin,
Under the dash doesn't look too bad, except for the aftermarket radio wire birdsnest. And it's easy to remove what's been added because he did ALL the new wiring in WHITE (ground, hot, etc.). It's the aftermarket alarm system under the hood that looks bad.
I think I'll hold off on the new harness until I get totally frustrated.
Like I said:
HELP,
SOMEONE GET A PART NUMBER FOR AN AIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will say that corvettes are still cheaper and easier than my other hobby, Boats.
Gary
Old 11-26-2001, 05:56 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

HELP,
SOMEONE GET A PART NUMBER FOR AN AIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doesnt get any easier than this: Try the corvetteforum Mall :

"This is a reprint of the original building sheets used on the Corvette assembly line. The book is broken down into major groups (body, doors, engine) and then shows a schematic diagram of the individual components. Each manual is specific to the individual year."

Books and Manuals, Assembly Manuals... or =>

http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/cfs-b-300-sc.html

[Modified by MNJack, 4:58 PM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 10:40 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

According to my AIM there should be a wiper relay mounted to the right side of the under console bracket and if you have power windows there is also a relay mounted to the left side of the under console bracket. I just purchase a new AC Delco wiper relay. The left duct should attach to the driverside plenum hole on non ac cars.
On my ac car it attaches to the heater duct work similiar to the passenger side.
The 68 chassis service manual also has the wiring schematics. I have been replacing all the wiring in my a/c 68 convertible. Bought new forward, rear harnesses and was able to locate a excellent condition used 68 GM dash harness at the Lowes Motor Speedway swap meet for $35.00. I would have to say that was the best buy I've had so far in the chase for parts.

[Modified by 68rdstr, 8:55 AM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 10:58 AM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays (MNJack)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm ordering one today. I did get a note from ZIP in the mail yesterday saying they would ship a catalog in mid Dec but I would like to try to get a few things done bofore 2002.
Thanks Again.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 backup lights, ventilation, and relays