Sponsored by:

[Z06] My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch

Some may not like what I have to say about the C6. And that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

To start off, is the C6 a good car? Yes, I do think it's a good car.

I sold my 2002 C5 Z06 to buy a 2007 Z51 C6.

Would I do it again if I had a time machine? No, I would not.

To start off, it's a gorgeous car. Definitely not lacking in the looks department. Even the interior has quite the decent look for a GM product, although it does have a cheap feel.

Bang for the buck performance numbers are incredible. The car is capable on many levels. My favorite thing about it is its powerplant. Really, it's a versatile, lightweight, compact, consistent, reliable and downright powerful platform. One of my favorite engines of all time is the LSX series engine.

It can grip in corners like there's no tomorrow, and this is especially evident on the track. I did NOT get to track my C6, but I tracked the C5Z and was very impressed. I imagine the C6 is close.

So what's the problem with it?

To me, the car has a couple Achilles heals. Again, this is just my viewpoint.

The car sorely lacks in feel. It has some of the most numb steering I've experienced in a sports car. Even the brakes could use a lot of work in the feedback department. This is where Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc. shine brilliantly. They may not be the fastest, most powerful, and post the best numbers... but the driving experience is second to none.

I'm not big on bragging rights. The C6 gives you that in spades. You can spout about impressive numbers all day with this car. But the funny thing about people who spout about those numbers is that most of them have never even gotten within 80% of the car's capabilities. The track is the true proving ground.

On the street, where you can't push a car to near its limits without a serious death wish, feel becomes so much more important. And even on a track, when you are trying to gauge all the sensory things your car is telling you about its limit, it is extremely important.

The C6 feels "spooky" through fast corners to me. You don't quite know what the tires are doing. You just kind of have to trust the car.

Granted, the C5Z wasn't giving Lotus levels of feedback, but it was a lot better. That car had a certain magic in the corners, something hard to describe.

They made the C6 too soft, too quiet, too refined for a real sports car. They've isolated the driver. That's great in a Cadillac, and I see why they did it with their largest demographics being older, but it takes away the soul and the passion of the driving experience. There is no connection to the road like you get in other great sports cars.

Going fast in a straight line, to me, gets old. And great handling is nothing without great feel. On top of the lackluster feedback, the steering is slow to respond and makes the car feel much heavier than it really is. The turning radius is that of a truck, and in general the steering just does not compliment such an amazing car.

I did drive a 2008 with the improved steering. Yes, it was somewhat better, but still not there IMO. Not sufficient enough for me to want to stick with the C6.

Other complaints are mundane. The interior is so-so, the seats being my biggest complaint. That was the same in the C5Z, as they're flimsy, have cheap leather, and absolutely no lateral support for the bends. A pair of Corbeau's was on my wish list had I decided to keep it.

The car had a number of rattles and squeaks. This would not bother me if the car were more raw and purpose built. But that it tried to be luxurious and sporty at the same time, the rattles did bother me a bit. There were 3 on and off in the dash, the windows would rub when it was cold, and the targa popped and clicked on hot days over bumps.

The indexing windows did not work in the cold.

It was comfortable and good for long trips and highway cruising.

The keyless entry has a cool "wow" factor, but got sort of annoying after a while. Would help if the car warned you when the FOB was taken out of the car, like on Toyota/Lexus's. Real pain when the battery goes dead.

All in all, I liked the car, I just did not love it. I loved the C5Z.

I am replacing the C6 with a Lotus Elise, which is my absolute favorite car to drive. My daily driver will be a GTI, which, ironically... I found more fun to drive on a twisty road than the C6.

Anyway, maybe this will help those looking to "upgrade" to the C6 from the C5Z. If amenities and refinement are your priority, go right ahead. You won't be disappointed. If a pure driving experience is your interest, stick with the C5Z. It's just plain better.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Keeping my C5Z for another year or two then C6Z for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BADMFR

Keeping my C5Z for another year or two then C6Z for me.
Unfortunately the C6Z suffers from all the negatives I outlined above. Same steering and lack of feedback.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! Thanks for the very detailed sensory summation...

That is exactly what a lot of guys on here are looking for when trying to decide between a pristine c5z and a 05-07 C6 Z51...

FWIW On my dad's 08 you can set the car to honk the horn if you leave the fob in it and walk away...

A lot of guys love the elise... more power to you!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:27 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

very accurate review above. I experienced the exact same thing. Had a c6 vert auto f55 suspension. very smooth, refined, but didnt think the interior was so great,, actually wasnt liking it that much. The car just didnt get me excited. Bought a c5z commemorative edition. Just love the feedback, the titanium exhaust, the way it handles and corners, and racy feeling of it. Makes me smile everytime I get into it. The c6 was almost boring. Plus I guess when I have a high performance car, that I sometimes drive, it simply has to be a standard. An auto just doesnt cut it for fun.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv808
Some may not like what I have to say about the C6. And that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

If a pure driving experience is your interest, stick with the C5Z. It's just plain better.
Hey, we don't mind. I specifically chose the C5 Z06 (Z05 ) over the C6, so you're just reinforcing what many of us already knew. To really stir the pot you should post this on the C6 forum. Your posting there will help educate those who haven't experienced a C5 Z06 which may raise demand for our cars and boost their resale value
Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

exactly i have them both an 04 C5Z and a 05 Z51 C6. The C6 is a overall better car, the C5Z is a better overall performace/track car.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Z06_Shame
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ctusser
Hey, we don't mind. I specifically chose the C5 Z06 (Z05 ) over the C6, so you're just reinforcing what many of us already knew. To really stir the pot you should post this on the C6 forum. Your posting there will help educate those who haven't experienced a C5 Z06 which may raise demand for our cars and boost their resale value
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't give a whit about resale for my c5z, as i will NEVER sell it.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mkiv808

(extracted portions of comments)

The car sorely lacks in feel. It has some of the most numb steering I've experienced in a sports car. Even the brakes could use a lot of work in the feedback department. This is where Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc. shine brilliantly. They may not be the fastest, most powerful, and post the best numbers... but the driving experience is second to none.

The C6 feels "spooky" through fast corners to me. You don't quite know what the tires are doing. You just kind of have to trust the car.

Granted, the C5Z wasn't giving Lotus levels of feedback, but it was a lot better. That car had a certain magic in the corners, something hard to describe.

They made the C6 too soft, too quiet, too refined for a real sports car. They've isolated the driver. That's great in a Cadillac, and I see why they did it with their largest demographics being older, but it takes away the soul and the passion of the driving experience. There is no connection to the road like you get in other great sports cars.
Thanks for that feedback. I've now heard that from a few people. I haven't had the opportunity to drive a C6 yet. I understand your comment about lack of feel on track and that certain magic in the C5 Z06. There is something that happens in that car on track running 8/10ths - 10/10ths that you either trust it and keep on going. Or you don't and just don't push it that hard. I thought my C4 gave better feedback but it was no match for the Z06. I love this car! Having the next gen car further disconnect me from the road is disappointing. Especially when you buy the Z51 option. The one thing the C5 Z06 has that you can tell from my friends coupes and verts is that "raw feel". I had hoped the C6 Z06 would also be very raw. I don't care if it scares the posers away that just want a bragging rights car. I love the notion that the C5 Z06 is a race on weekends and drive to work on weekdays car. I've stiffened mine up a bit more to further refine the handling and make it more like the T1 spec.

So what tracks have you driven both C5 and C6 on and how where the cars setup?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:02 PM
03Z06GUY
Burning Brakes

Is it a bad thing to never want to get rid of my Mil. Yello 03 z?? I had thought of trying to go to a c6 but DAMN! I love my 03z. I only have 17,000 on it and it kicks me in the azz everytime i drive it! Unless i upgraded to a c6z (which probably will never happen) i don't see any reason to get rid of this. Comments?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Nice writeup! I was on the fence b/t a new Z51 C6 and a used C5 Z06 and went with the Z. I have no regrets

Originally Posted by Z06_Shame
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't give a whit about resale for my c5z, as i will NEVER sell it.
You must be?

1) Very old.
2) Wealthy with a car collection.
3) A person who doesn't adhere to, "never say never."

Because most folks care about resale value. Please respond to the multiple choice question.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
d9988
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03Z06GUY
Is it a bad thing to never want to get rid of my Mil. Yello 03 z?? I had thought of trying to go to a c6 but DAMN! I love my 03z. I only have 17,000 on it and it kicks me in the azz everytime i drive it! Unless i upgraded to a c6z (which probably will never happen) i don't see any reason to get rid of this. Comments?
Sure - just sell it to me You live pretty close and thats the color I'm looking for. Then go get that c6z
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

2 years ago I posted pretty much the having the same experience. I didn't buy a C6Z51, just drove one around the track at spring mountain. Not enough feel in the steering or brakes, and this was on a track. I'm sure its great on the street, but I lost around .4-.5 10ths driving the C6, same day, same track. Some people(most C6 guys) think that we are jealous in some way and thats why we don't like C6's as much as a C5Z, its a shame most of them haven't driven a C5 Z06 on a track, the'd see it our way. I've also heard back from guys that I do road race with, who have the C6Z06, and they say its kind of scary, because it lacks feedback, and you can get in over your head very quickly, ie...the car doesn't tell you when its ready to give up/spin/where the C5Z gives you plenty of feedback/warning.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 12-21-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

To the original poster: that was a great unbiased review. I've often thought about my next Vette experience, wondering what a C6 would be like. While my next car is QUITE a ways off, in the interim it's good to read something like this.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ctusser
I posted the same thing there, and definitely got a couple panties in a bunch.

Although just as many people were respectful and appreciative of my opinion.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MK,

I saw you had your '07 for sale, how much did it finally go for?

Enjoy the Lotus. I'll have to try a test drive of one some time. But my Z does both street & a little track time. I think I will love VIR with a little more experience.

A question though--does the C5Z have better feel then say the revised 2008 C6 ?

a
Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 AM
KamiLos
Instructor

When I was in the marker to but a vette I test drove both the 04 Z and the 05 z51. I agree with you about the numbness in the steering, it felt like my audi. I drove away with the 04 Z.

3 weeks ago I ran a 06 z51 and pulled on it.. on a track ofcourse................

Get notified of new replies

To My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch

Old 12-22-2007, 05:42 AM
only59
Pro

Well the school I come from is similar to many here..

I have owned and driven many nice Corvettes..and I think the C6 Corvettes are really nice,but..

I don't want one..

I want the Badge, the Car , the Z06..thats why I came back after a few years away from Vette' ownership...If I am not driving it I want to LOOK at it.!

I am also life long a Guitar player, I play Fender Telecasters, not Guitars that look like or sound like or feel like Fender Telecasters.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Melsy
Instructor

All great and pretty fair posts. Having been driving vette's for ~50 years I found my dream when I purchased my '03 Z06 new and will be cremated with it!!!!!! It is just a greatly balanced machine--and I don't think I've even come close to 80% of its capability except for when I attended driving school at Moroso Raceway and abused their Z06"s.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Heh. In September I went looking for another Corvette. I had decided that a 2005-07 C6 would be the car for me. I had driven a bunch and was very serious about a black 2006 Z51 coupe. I even told the guy that I only had one more car to look at on my list, then I would be back to buy it. Ironically, that car was a C5 Z06 that I had included just to cover all the bases. I'm sure glad I did because I fell in love! The Z06 just fits me better...figuratively and literally. It is more racy and involved than the C6. It flaunts its cabin noise, blind spots, top-end hit and stiff ride instead of trying to be a Camry. The C6 is a superb car, no doubt, but just isn't as engaging. Needless to say, I ended up with a 2004 Z16 CE in the garage...

It's not to shabby-looking, either...
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by danziger; 12-22-2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added pic...

Quick Reply: [Z06] My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch