C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crossover pipe instl and soundbyte

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Crossover pipe instl and soundbyte

For those following this trek here's a couple pics of the H-pipe install and some noise. FWIW I think I've finally got what I wanted, it sounds great and the raspy popping is gone as well. It also lowered the tone as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Dave,

Your efforts sure did pay off!

Congrats!

Plasticman
Old 12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the crossover made a LOT of difference
Bill
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave: It sounds great. You put a lot of work in to it with good results. The crossover makes all the difference.
Roy
Old 12-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

told ya it would take the bark out at idle. Now take it out on the road when you get a chance and tell us how those MasterDave glass packs work, WOULD YA!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Kensmith
told ya it would take the bark out at idle. Now take it out on the road when you get a chance and tell us how those MasterDave glass packs work, WOULD YA!
Thanks guys.....MasterDave glas-paks..hmm. Patent Pending. Drove it 'bout 20 miles today and it was worth the work.....I think... JK, I like it a lot. It was a lot of work but fun also. I figured I wasn't gonna be out much if I was going to remove them anyway. Turns out I will leave them on. The engine revs freely and with the lower tone it's more enjoyable to drive. No headache!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, now how much is shipping from my house to your's so you can glass pack mine! They really sound much better don't they. I like my crossover for taking the bark out and giving just a little deeper note but still too loud. I think yours sound great. Not deafening!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Ok, now how much is shipping from my house to your's so you can glass pack mine! They really sound much better don't they. I like my crossover for taking the bark out and giving just a little deeper note but still too loud. I think yours sound great. Not deafening!
I'll do them for ya. I got a bit quicker on the second round (front halfs) and learned a trick or two during the process. If you're serious let me know. Not sure about $$, just time and materiel, zip is 98422.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MasterDave
I'll do them for ya. I got a bit quicker on the second round (front halfs) and learned a trick or two during the process. If you're serious let me know. Not sure about $$, just time and materiel, zip is 98422.
Dave
can't you do the whole length at one time, rather than 1/2 at a time?
Bill
Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by wmf62
Dave
can't you do the whole length at one time, rather than 1/2 at a time?
Bill
Yes of course. The next ones I do will be done that way. I only did 1/2at first because I thought it would be enough. It wasn't. I also was concerned with mis-aligning the header connector due to cutting too many of the chambered sections. Worked out fine as you can see and hear. I cannot stress enough the need for a balance pipe though. All the difference in the world. I'm going to Cabo Monday, be back next year......
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought it made sense to link the full discussion with before and after crosspipe. Sounds interesting. Still like the sound of my pipes but if I ever get tired of it this may be a good way to tame them. Wonder if any of the side pipe manufactures are reading this?

Sound with out crossover pipe:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=102

Full discussion on glass packing:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1871772
Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Wonder if any of the side pipe manufactures are reading this?
i'm not sure they can read...
Bill
Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was mentioned previously, but anyone considering a home-brewed long "glasspack" styled sidepipe system may want to look into these;

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...roducts_id=509

They'll custom build the mufflers in any length you want (50-54" here) as well as full systems. They'd basically just be replacing the chambered section with this round tubed cherry bomb/glasspack styled muffler (I'd spec stainless steel wool packing), then welding the S-pipe and tip onto it. I'm guessing the OD of the muffler itself is in the 3.25" -to- 3.5" range. That long a muffler should make for a nice mellow tone, especially if a crossover pipe in used.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 PM
mid-year crisis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterDave
Yes of course. The next ones I do will be done that way. I only did 1/2at first because I thought it would be enough. It wasn't. I also was concerned with mis-aligning the header connector due to cutting too many of the chambered sections. Worked out fine as you can see and hear. I cannot stress enough the need for a balance pipe though. All the difference in the world. I'm going to Cabo Monday, be back next year......
Thanks for the inspiration and info Dave, have a great trip
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Masterdave Sidepipes

I'm reviving this thread because I just sent my Allen's 2 3/4" sidepipes to Dave to do his Masterdave patented glass pack work on them. I will try and post a sound bite when I get them back. Thanks Dave
Old 12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Chambered Glass-packs

Well, got the sidepipes back from Dave and they sound great. I would guess about 25% quieter than before and deeper non-echo tone. Went for a drive and the car runs great. No performance issues. I tried to post a video but my camera resolution produces a large 148MB file so I could not post it. Maybe tomorrow I will try and lower the resolution and post a video-sound bite. My Allen's were 2 3/4" OD and now they are 3" OD. Still fit under the sidecovers but very tight. Had to do just a little adjusting of stuff but very happy with how they turned out. The guy can do some nice work! Thanks Dave!

Last edited by Kensmith; 12-06-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossover pipe instl and soundbyte

Quick Reply: Crossover pipe instl and soundbyte