C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 11:37 PM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood?

as topic
Old 11-26-2001, 01:43 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (xrated)

Victor Jr. has a carb pad height of 4.6". You can use Edelbrock's method to check your clearance:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...#hoodclearance

My guess is it will not. The RPM Air Gap is 4.725" and it does not fit. I believe the Performer (pad = 4") and those of similar height are the only intakes that will fit under the stock SB hood.

Mark
Old 11-26-2001, 02:51 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (mdsmith)

thanks for that info. Do you know of a single plane maifold that would fit?
Old 11-26-2001, 03:10 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Edelbrock TorquerII will fit with a drop base air cleaner and 3" element, but it is very close to touching the hood. Just torque the wing nut to 40ft lbs like I do and you'll be fine :D
Old 11-26-2001, 12:31 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Victor Jr. for my car in hopes that it would fit under the hood so I did alot of research on the subject and came up with this answer: YES. I compared it directly with my Offenhauser 360 manifold which is, to my naked eye, about 1/8 of an inch taller. When I used the Offy manifold I used a 2" element with a drop base air cleaner. The wing nut on the air cleaner just touches the under hood insulation so with the Victor Jr. I should have a tad more cleanance. You should also get ahold of GKull. He used to run a Victor Jr. under the hood of his 79 with a custom drop base air cleaner and a 3" element!

This first picture is deceiving because the base of the Victor Jr. sinks down more having it appear higher, but it's not.

Here I tried to line both of my intakes up as close as possibble and as you can see there is really no difference in height.

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference but my car is a 74. But I don't think the hoods changed any except for the wiper thing at the front.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:37 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

stingy74,
Take a straight edge and put it on the carb pad then measure down to the intake manifold "end rail" (front) your Victor jr "looks taller to me but then again my eyes ain`t what they used to be. ...redvetracr
Old 11-26-2001, 12:56 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (Stingy74)

I just bought a Victor Jr. for my car in hopes that it would fit under the hood so I did alot of research on the subject and came up with this answer: YES. I compared it directly with my Offenhauser 360 manifold which is, to my naked eye, about 1/8 of an inch taller. When I used the Offy manifold I used a 2" element with a drop base air cleaner. The wing nut on the air cleaner just touches the under hood insulation so with the Victor Jr. I should have a tad more cleanance. You should also get ahold of GKull. He used to run a Victor Jr. under the hood of his 79 with a custom drop base air cleaner and a 3" element!
Just keep in mind that the 68-72 stock hood is different than 73-up. There is much less room to work with on the older cars. The tallest intake you will fit under the 68-72 hood is the TorquerII(single plane) and Weiand Stealth(dual plane). The use of a 2" filter element will provide enough room under the hood with both of these intakes. If the victor is less than 1" taller than the TorquerII, than it should fit with the 2" element, but it will be close.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:02 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (redvetracr)

Redvetracr,

Ok, I made my pad measurments and came up with the following:

Offenhauser 360: 4 1/8
Edelbrock Victor Jr. : 4 1/16

Looks like the Edelbrock is 1/16 shorter, barley enough to mention a difference! So I know it will fit under my 74 hood with the 2" filter and drop base air cleaner. After I did the proper method of measuring I took this picture for further reference. I set the distributor end of each manifold on the table so that they laid flat. I proped two pop cans under the front of each manifold to hold them in place being sure that the height was keeping the opposite manifold ends flat on the table. The Offy is on the left and Edelbrock on the right.

Old 11-26-2001, 03:42 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (tsw71)

Just keep in mind that the 68-72 stock hood is different than 73-up. There is much less room to work with on the older cars. The tallest intake you will fit under the 68-72 hood is the TorquerII(single plane) and Weiand Stealth(dual plane). The use of a 2" filter element will provide enough room under the hood with both of these intakes. If the victor is less than 1" taller than the TorquerII, than it should fit with the 2" element, but it will be close.
I have found that the Stealth (8016) is front 4.18", rear 4.50". In comparison, the Edel Performer RPM is front 4.00", rear 5.30. So the Stealth is taller than the RPM at the front (the most critical spot on these Corvettes).

I am running a Weiand Team G Streat Ram single plane (front 3.50", rear 4.50") with a Moroso drop base filter and a 3" element. Judging by the amount of clearance I have now, neither the Perf RPM or the Stealth would fit. With my current setup, the air cleaner lid does hit the hood under engine torquing, but it is only enough to brush the grime on the inside of my hood. I may end up going with a 2.75" element when it is time to replace my current one.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:25 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (Chris A)

The Victor Jr {short-part#2975} will not fit under your 72 hood. As mentioned above the original Torquer and the Torquer 2 will fit. The Victor Jr. {short version only} will fit under a 74 and later hood, as that is what I have in my 74. I am not sure if it will fit under a BB 72 hood. Be carefull with the part number on the Victor jr,there is a taller version of this manifold part # 2999 which is 1" taller.
Ed
Old 11-26-2001, 06:58 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (Stingy74)

Stingy74,
The Victor jr is good (better with a 1'spacer,even better with a 2" spacer) BUT a 2" filter is BAD. I think you will be defeating your purpose. The 2" is too restrictive you need at least a 3" filter ...redvetracr
Old 11-26-2001, 06:58 PM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (ED DINAPOLI)

Thanks guys, Torquer II it is then. Unless i find a nice BB hood down here in the land of Kangaroos, Koalas but no Vet spares.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Default Re: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood? (redvetracr)

redvetracr,

Before I bought the Victor Jr. I emailed GKull about it because I remember an old post of his with regards to a Victor Jr. and 3" element. He built himself a custon drop base which i'm going to assume gave him the extra inch of clearance for the taller filter. I totally agree with you on this one, but anything short of a new high rise hood would require me to have a shorter filter. I've been driving it like that for a long time and it has performed very well but I would probably notice some difference with a filter that could grab more air. I guess the easiest way of saying it is that a chain is as only good as it's weakest link. Why have a bunch of high flow stuff with a low flow filter? It will get done.:)
Old 11-26-2001, 08:18 PM
Clink69
Drifting

How bout this setup??

Mine is a 69 SB hood.

It seems that Chris A. has (edel carb) with Weiand Team G (3.5" front, 4.5" rear) . what if I put in a Edel Performer RPM AIr Gap (4.2" front 5.25" rear) with my holly 750.

Now I need to make up approx 3/4 inch , right? So I put a 2" cleaner with TOP open filter also to improve the air flow. Will it fit and will it flow?

thanx :flag

[Modified by Clink69, 6:20 PM 11/26/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood?

Quick Reply: Will a Victor Jr. fit under a 1972 stock small block hood?