C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 09:11 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice

short story , Raining hard on mountain road wed. Almost made it over the rock..wham, smashed both exhaust pipes where they run under the strut mount bracket. One pipe smashed to half diameter..yikes..I left with a fine tuned 69 corvette and returned two days later limping in and sounding like a thrashed old plymouth..Could have been "much" worse though:rolleyes:

Im going to set back up with Hooker Side Mounts if It doesnt turn to somekind of installation nightmare on my car :smash:

I havent ordered them yet because.........
Does anyone know if these driverside powersteering components, shown in the pic , will interfere with the headers as the run out to the drivers side of the car.

Ive looked at Chuck Harmons Pics and other outside pics of the Hookers and It seems to me, that PS stuff would be right in the path of the driverside header:confused:
Does anyone know whether the Hookers are made to clear my PS cylinder mount and hoses :confused:

Any help, advice ect..is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Tom:seeya
http://www.weavermill.com/real/exh3.jpg

[Modified by 69classchass, 8:13 PM 11/25/2001]

[Modified by 69classchass, 8:14 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 09:55 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (69classchass)

Here are some pics from my 78 vette . I have Hooker Sidepipe Headers 1 7/8 primaries. I do not have any problems at all, not even close. If you need ant other pics let me know. Hope these help.
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 7:56 PM 11/25/2001]

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 7:21 PM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 10:48 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (69classchass)

It all clears on my '79 but not by as much as 78nomads. I don't have more that 1/4 inch from my steering box.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:43 AM
69classchass
Advanced

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (1979toy)

Nomad78SA,
Thats exactly the view I needed. Now I see how they come off the head and get by the PS equiptment to the side. Allright Im ordering them from summit tomorrow. By the way , what do you use for an insert.
Thanks 1970toy, What are you using for inserts, whats the recomendations or advice?
Tom
PS, Thats a real clean chassis and engine compartment Neil..WoW. Are you in a frame off rebuild?

[Modified by 69classchass, 11:51 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 07:49 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Thanks 69classchass,
Yes, I have been in a frame off. I am getting rady to put the body back on here soon. I originally bought the reverse flow mufflers to make sure it is quiet, and they are but restritive according to many car gurus here. I am looking to buy a set of the spiral inserts from JLC or JCL from here on the forum before I put it on the road. I have hear many good things about them and it seems the way to go.
Neil in Tenn
Old 11-26-2001, 08:54 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (Nomad78SA)

Hi Neil,
I ordered the Hooker sidemounts,theyll be here in a couple days from Summit. I talked to JCL also and glad there are options for inserts.
I have another question for you or anyone who has installed them.
Ive been hearing that I have to pull the starter and drop the Trans. cross member to get them in ? Do you have some Idea about what Ill run into getting them installed on my Small Block. Anybody know what the hard areas are with this install. I was hoping I'd have them in in 1 day?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2001, 09:19 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Sorry I can't answer the question on the installation. I already had the body off when I in stalled mine. I did not have to drop the transmember though. Many people here have them so someone should ring in on this. I can see the starter being in the way or easier doing it without it in. Here is a few shots to show the relationship of the transmember. Notice where the sidepipe tubes connect.
Neil in Tenn

Old 11-26-2001, 09:27 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Jack the car WAAAY up. I installed the right side from the top and the left side from the bottom. No help at all. It would be nice if you had somebody to help hold the gaskets in place. Total time to install was 4 hours or so, but I had my old exhaust out already. The hardest part that I ran into was installing the sidepipes and reinstalling the rocker covers.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:42 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (1979toy)

Thanks Steve, I was prepared to do anything short of original cosmetic mod. to get them in.
Whew ..your reply is a blast of encouragement. Ill be pulling my damaged exhaust after work today. The hookers should be here tomorrow or Thurs.
I should have them in By the weekend. Ill post how it comes along and some pics.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Tom
Old 11-27-2001, 02:25 PM
Jester69Stingray
Pro

I installed mine with the help of one friend and it was very easy. Just put the front of the car on jack stands and put both in from the bottom. The only thing that was in the way was the z bar for the clutch which was easy to remove and reinstall. I also have a 69 with Power Steering and had no problems with any clearance at all. The headers probly only took about an hour and the sidepipes probly took another 2 hours. :cheers:
Old 11-27-2001, 03:34 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (Jester69Stingray)

Your 69 is just like my 68. You will have a small clearence problem with the lower rocker mouldings, right where the collectors are when they come out and up from the wheel well. Takes a little simple modding on the rockers. Warning though. Rockers and its associated pieces are very expensive
Old 11-27-2001, 10:54 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice (Jester69Stingray)

Will an a/c complicate things in my 1970? I too am thinking sidepipes. I heard exhuast fumes are bad with sidepipes and sitting still? The pics help alot, are your heads angled or straight plugs?

Get notified of new replies

To Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice

Quick Reply: Im having Hooker Side Mount installation confusion..Need advice