C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 Roadster emissions exception???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:12 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 75 Roadster emissions exception???

I'm looking at a 75 roadster that does not have a cat convt on it. The guy that is selling it says there was an exception and it didn't have or need all the emissions equipment on it. Is there such a thing. Doesn't sound right to me. What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2001, 08:42 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 75 Roadster emissions exception??? (scottw)

Does anyone out there know about emissions?
I'd like a little advise. I have been looking on the internet about it but can't find anything yet.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:58 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no smog exemption for a '75. If you reside in a state that requires smog testing you need all your smog equipment in place on the car if they do a visual.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:13 PM
chevyman
Racer

For my 75, in CT its emmision exempt so I pretty safe driving without a sticker but.... if I sell it the new owner will be subject to a visual.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:11 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 75 Roadster emissions exception??? (chevyman)

scottw,
Your sig. say you live in Tennessee. Here is the link to the Dept. Of Motor Vehicles for sog. http://www.state.tn.us/safety/titlin...html#emissions
Old 11-26-2001, 01:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Wasn't there a post about a year ago that said that a Haines manual was incorrectly showing a 1974 dual exhaust and labeling it a 1975. Some state inspector was allowing duals and no catalyst because of that picture. I wouldn't bet that would hold up though.

Also, do some states exempt 25+ year old vehicles? Or do they still have a visual?
Old 11-26-2001, 02:40 AM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 75 Roadster emissions exception??? (Jim Shea)

There was a special non-converter setup used on cars that went to Europe or other countries that were still using leaded fuel. It used the standard 1975 exhaust, but simply replaced the converter with a straight pipe, so it wouldn't have been the typical dual exhaust setup. The fuel filler would also have to be changed. Don't know if they had a special pipe and neck for the 75 bladder tank, or if they just used the 74 tank. This was defintely restricted to cars going out of the country and in no way could this have been gotten on a US or Canadian car, so probably only a handful were ever built and doubt this is one of them.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:14 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Here is another scenario, where I've seen it happen here in Ohio. You could buy the vehicle from him and take it to be tested. If they would happen to "fail" the vehicle, the previous owner can be held liable for any and all repairs to bring the vehicle "back into standard". Of course this could result in lawsuit, the vehicle sitting a good while, while all this is taking place, etc. :yesnod:

Allan, I'd bet the original '75 tank had to be used with those overseas cars as the '75 tank has the sending unit and pickup that comes out the top, whereas the '74 is on the bottom like the earlier cars. Can't see GM making all "those" special changes for export cars other than the "test pipe" you mentioned.

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 11:18 AM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 02:37 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Let the buyer beware! If you can identify the car as having emissions equipment when new, I would use this to negotiate a better price. It doesn't matter if your area is exempt. The federal law requires that you have all original equipment no matter where you live.

The real issue is when or if you decide to sell in the future, you could be liable for making the car meet the original requirements depending on where the buyer lives or if laws in your area change.

It would probably take about $1000 dollars to make the car legal again if you need to at some point. Are you sure just the catalytic converter is missing? The L48 should not have an air pump, but there is the exhaust manifolds if they where replaced by headers, the EGR, the correct air cleaner assembly. the exhaust butterfly assembly, new exhaust, new fuel filler if it was tampered with to allow for leaded fuel nozzles etc...

Dave

Dave
Old 11-26-2001, 08:29 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 75 Roadster emissions exception??? (DaveL82)

Thanks for all the advise. Sounds like I have a negotiating tool for this car.

Old 11-26-2001, 10:25 PM
Torcher
Racer

I just registered mine (75 vert) it is an L48 and I can assure you it does have an air pump... also, the 75 falls under a 25+ year rule here in Va so no emissions test is required any longer. Check your state laws for emissions requirements and exemptions. :chevy :seeya
Old 11-27-2001, 10:29 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: 75 Roadster emissions exception??? (Torcher)

I thought the mid 70 L48 did not have air pumps. I knew all L82 engines did to contend with the cam overlap. When did they take the air pump off L48's? I know that by 78 or 79 the air pump was gone from that engine.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

As I remember, my 1976 L48 did not have an air pump.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:58 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

There were certain years where all cars had them regardless of base motor or hi-perf. I know all '68s, '73s, '74s(except L-48 Federal automatics had A.I.R.)& '75s. '76 and up it was various engine/trans combos that may or may not have had A.I.R. "Usually" '76 & up base motor/automatics DID NOT have A.I.R. :confused:
Old 11-27-2001, 01:15 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm looking at a 75 roadster that does not have a cat convt on it. The guy that is selling it says there was an exception and it didn't have or need all the emissions equipment on it. Is there such a thing. Doesn't sound right to me. What do you guys think?
scottw, I am still curious - It sounds like the seller has taken lessons from Bill Clinton! :) When he says, "there was an exception.." do you think he meant in 1975 there was a special exception for this particular vehicle? Or does he mean there is currently an exception for 25 year old cars in Tennessee, and therefore the car does not need its original smog equipment which is now missing? When he says, "... it didnt have or need all the emissions equipment on it...." does he mean it NEVER had it? or it didnt have it yesterday and doesnt need it today? I understand you are not quoting him verbatim, but if he is trying to tell you the car came that way from the factory I would suggest he is lying (No, let's say, "he is mistaken").
And maybe he is "mistaken" about other features of the car. MJ

Get notified of new replies

To 75 Roadster emissions exception???

Quick Reply: 75 Roadster emissions exception???