C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 06:45 PM
tictocdok
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc

will soon be attempting to paint mine, have spent the last couple winters sandblasting the frame, painting and restoring the frame and suspension,
how do I prevent overspray from getting on the frame and in the engine compartment?? basically how do I make sure paint goes on the body and not get it all over everything else?
Old 11-25-2001, 06:52 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (tictocdok)

One trick I've learned is to use aluminum foil. You can wrap the aluminum foil around most anything to prevent it from getting overspray. Masking tape works in many cases too. I would just cover the body with some cloth sheets to prevent the overspray from getting on the body.

[Modified by bence13_33, 4:53 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 06:54 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

mask everything off! open the hood, tape off where you dont want paint. then get either masking paper or news paper and cover the engine up. as far as the frame goes, you could try masking at the bottom of the rocker panel. and along with the wheel wells. just mask off everything that you dont want painted.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:09 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

There is a cheap, water soluble liquid masking that you can spray on everything. You simply load it up in your paint gun and spray it on your engine, on your frame, and everywhere you want protected from overspray (since even the most tightly masked engine will get some overspray on it in the primer/paint process). Don't start or run the engine with this stuff on it.... When you're done painting, you simply take a hotsie and blast the masking off all the surfaces, and it will look like new with no overspray. We actually coat entire cars with the stuff before running them in to the shop in order to assure that there will be no overspray from spot priming, etc. on the glass & trim. We also spray the entire inside of our paint booth with the stuff in order to keep the booth and its glass panels looking like new at all times. It's called liquid masking, and it's available in any auto paint supply store.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:33 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (lars)

I'd use the paper painters use as well as plastic. My painter assured me there would be no overspray or residue. I wound up spending hours cleaning it up even though they were very careful.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use canvas tire covers. Plastic trash bags for the engine. Aluninum foil is also very helpful. Take as much as you can off, the results are worth the effort.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:14 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (silvervetteman)

Newspaper, masking tape, and plastic drop cloth (10' x 10') that you would use for painting in your house.

Dwayne
Old 11-25-2001, 09:35 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (BigBlockVette)

A word of caution about newspaper.... The ink will transfer to fresh paint AND it is kinda fuzzy(lint,dust, dirt). Not too good for masking. Auto Painters paper is cheap and easy to use.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:03 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (silvervetteman)

I also would recommend the liquid spray mask that Lars mentioned. It will give the most complete protection. Some urethane clears will actually creep under and up behind plastic sheeting depending on the air flow of the booth. If you are going to use sheeting I would tape it to the bottom of the car the whole way around and have it weighted down on the floor. Also completely mask off the grilel openings and the engine compartment. Good Luck, Craig :cheers:
Old 11-25-2001, 10:07 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc (CF6873)

One more thing on plastic sheeting. If you use it, get it from a bodyshop supply store and get the kind that paint will adhere to. If you use hardware plastic sheeting the paint could blow off and fly into your wet paint. Craig :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc

Quick Reply: painters, how to prevent overspray in engine, frame,etc