C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield support rust - What do I look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 04:02 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Windshield support rust - What do I look for

I recently purchased a 72 BB Roadster and checked the frame over closely before buying ( frame, trailing arms, etc. were fine), but didn't check the windshied support. Reading over several topics in the forum makes me wonder how bad I could have messed up if it is rusty. What all and where all do I need to check for this. Also what all is involved in the repairs if it is rusty.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :confused:
Old 11-25-2001, 04:34 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Windshield support rust - What do I look for (Phlash)

Just pull the pillar molding. I thought mine was bad, but after I pulled the pillar molding, I found that it was the metal backing on the molding. Also. If you really want to know, you can pull the dash. However, this can be a PITA and it is a one day job probably. You can also take a few screws out and pull the header molding. For a quick and dirty check, get a light source and go around the windshield molding (you can see some???? rust through the glass), but beware, if you see lots of flakes of rust, it is probably the back of the pillar molding. Hope it helps.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Windshield support rust - What do I look for (MoneyPit)

If I am going to look at one that is for sale I take a gallon of water with me and pour it down the pillar posts.If the carpet gets wet you have rust.You really can't tell how bad unless you do what Money Pit posted. Chuck
Old 11-25-2001, 08:30 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: Windshield support rust - What do I look for (chucks)

The water test will not tell you if you have rust for sure. It may have been repaired with silicone or some other stop gap measure. The only sure was is taking off the molding or removing the windshield.

Mine looked fine from behind the molding, but I was very surprised how rusty it was from the windshield side.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:53 PM
Phlash
Racer

I have spent the last few hours taking Moneypit's advice. Took the inside molding off and the passenger side dash panel off. Found nothing on the passenger side. On the driver side I looked under the dash the best I could and could not find any signs of rust, but did fine a hole on the pillar about two inches above the VIN behind the trim. The hole is about 3/16 inch diameter after I probed it with a very bent screw driver. The metal around it was scaling back for about a half inch downward. Then took my air hose and blew it out to dislodge the the rust. Looks like I may need to have the windshield removed and check for further damage. Everthing seems solid other than the this spot. What suggestions do the forum members have and how serious is this?

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :rolleyes:
Old 11-25-2001, 09:59 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most suppliers sell sections of the frame. I know ZIP has a section in its catalog for these sections. Mine is not that bad, so here is what I am going to do.
I have a friend in the paint/body biz. We are going to take the windshield out. If you don't know anyone, search your phone book for a mobile service that will come to your house or shop. Once out, I am going to blast the frame. Barring any significant holes, I am going to tack anything small or weld in any larger pieces. Then I am going to apply copius amounts of POR-15. With any luck the glass want have shattered getting it out, and I can re-install the windshield.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:40 PM
Phlash
Racer

Default Re: Windshield support rust - What do I look for (MoneyPit)

Thanks Moneypit,

Looks like my winter project has a new item. Fortunately it doesn't look too bad yet. Unless it is a lot worse than I think, I should be able to fix the damage myself. I still feel like I got a good deal considering the overall condition of the 72 BB Roadster, A/C, TH400, PS, PB, hard and soft tops. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield support rust - What do I look for

Quick Reply: Windshield support rust - What do I look for